Bates: A Visual Guide to Physical Examination
The Health Sciences Library is pleased to provide this "streaming video" version of Barbara Bates' "A Visual Guide to Physical Examination". The video clips demonstrate technique while audio content describes the procedures and rationales. A summary and quick review conclude each section. Links to accompanying static images are also included. The 4th edition has been supplemented with six new modules offering specific guidance on approach to the patient, general survey, vital signs and skin, and age appropriate head-to-toe assessement.
- 56 kbs modem or higher speed broadband connection to the Internet;
- Audio speakers or headphones
- Download and install software that will allow your Mac to read ".wmv" files. Recommended: VideoLan's VLC Media Player available from http://www.videolan.org/
- For Safari users: (Mac only) Click on the video you want. Follow the instructions for downloading the file to your Mac. Once the file has finished downloading, browse your hard drive for the file. Double click on the file to run it. You will be asked which application you want to use to run the file. Choose VLC. Your video should start automatically.
- For Firefox users: (Mac only) Click on the video you want to view. A pop-up box will appear asking which software you want to use to open the file. Browse your Mac for VLC. Click on VLC, click OK and your video will start playing automatically.
The license for this product does not allow you to copy, reproduce or redistribute any of the images or videos. Please respect copyright.
Warning Explicit Content
Due to the graphic content of this product consideration must be given to others when viewing it in a public area.
Limits and Restrictions
There is a limit of 10 simultaneous users; if you have problems try connecting again later.
Off-campus access: You must be a member of Memorial University, with an active library account and PIN number.
Viewing these videos through D2L (your online course) is problematic. Please open a new browser window and access these videos directly from the library website. http://www.library.mun.ca/HSL/docs/bates.php
Videos do not play from Google Chrome.
Remote access for Macs is problematic and is being worked on.
Table of Contents
Head-to-Toe Assessment of the Adult
Head-to-Toe Assessment of the Infant
Head-to-Toe Assessment of the Child
Breasts and Axillae
Male Genitalia, Hernias, Rectum, and Prostate
Peripheral Vascular System
Female Genitalia, Anus, and Rectum
Head, Eyes, and Ears
Nervous System: Sensory System and Reflexes
Nervous System: Cranial Nerves and Motor System
Nose, Mouth, and Neck
Thorax and Lungs
General Survey and Vital Signs
Examination of the Skin
Approach to the Patient
Head-to-Toe Assessment of the Older Adult
||Health Sciences Library
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL Canada A1B 3V6
Phone: Contact Us Fax: 709-777-6866