Memorial University Libraries

Historical Directory of Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers - N

NANL News
  • Place of publication: Goose Bay
  • Began publication: Jan. 1975.
  • Last issue located: Sept. 1975.
  • Frequency: monthly.
  • Publisher:
    • Native Association of Newfoundland and Labrador, Jan.-July 1975.
    • Indian and Metis Association of Newfoundland-Labrador, Aug.-Sept. 1975.
  • Editor: Philip Jeddore.
  • Description:
    The stated purpose of NANL News was "to allow free expression of ideas and opinions by native and non-native peoples on any relevant topic" (Jan. 1975). Started with the aid of a government grant, it featured local and other news of interest to the native peoples of Labrador, native sports, letters, and advertisements. It contained articles in both English and Inuktitut.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1975 Microfilm
    • PRL 1975 Original and microfilm
Nainemiok
  • Place of publication: Nain.
  • Began publication: Nov. 1955 (Only issue located)
  • Publisher: F. W. Peacock?
  • Description:
    The only known issue of Nainemiok contains articles printed entirely in Inuktitut.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Nov. 1955
Newfoundland Bulletin
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Mar. 1943 (no. 3).
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 1971.
  • Frequency:
    • Monthly, 1943.
    • Monthly (irregular), 1947-Mar. 1948.
    • Bimonthly, June/July 1948-Feb./Mar. 1949.
    • Quarterly, Apr./June 1949-Jan./Mar. 1953.
    • Monthly, July 1968-Dec. 1971.
  • Title varies:
    • Newfoundland War Savers Bulletin, Mar.-Aug. 1943.
    • Newfoundland Government Bulletin, Sept. 1943-Jan./Mar. 1953.
    • Newfoundland Bulletin, July 1968-Dec. 1971.
  • Publisher:
    • Newfoundland War Savings Committee, Mar.-Aug. 1943.
    • Publicity Office, Dept. of Finance, Sept. 1943-Jan./Mar. 1953.
    • Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, July 1968-Dec. 1971.
  • Description:
    When published as the Newfoundland War Savings Bulletin, this paper encouraged the purchase of savings stamps and certificates as well as containing articles on health, agriculture and coop news. As the Newfoundland Government Bulletin, it contained some local news and information on the activities of government departments. Under the Smallwood administration, it publicized various government projects and programs and generally painted a rosy picture of economic conditions and the fisheries situation. It had articles on Newfoundland history, personal portraits, and a section on children who were available for adoption. McDonald viewed the publication as a somewhat manipulative tool of the government.(31)
  • Holdings:
  • MUN 1953, 1969-1971 * Original
  • MUN [1943]-[1950-1951, 1968]-1969 Microfilm
  • PRL [1943]-[1950-1951]-1953, [1968]-1971 Original
  • PRL [1943]-[1950-1951, 1968]-1969 Microfilm
Newfoundland Chronicle
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Mar. 1972.
  • Latest issue located: Mar./Apr. 1972.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Editor and publisher: Jack Fitzgerald.
  • Printer: Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundland Chronicle, which was owned by Jack Fitzgerald, Brien Healey and Dave Porter of St. John's, was a particularly lurid tabloid that featured stories such as "Confessions of a Water Street Prostitute", "John C. Doyle Victim of Two Murder Attempts", and "Stag Film Racket Operating in City."
  • Holdings:
    • PRL 1972.
Newfoundland Churchman
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Jan. 1959-
  • Frequency: Monthly (except July-Aug.)
  • Publisher: Literature Committee of the Diocesan Synod of Newfoundland (Anglican Church).
  • Editor:
    • E. P. Hiscock, Jan.-June 1959.
    • C. J. Abraham, July 1959-June 1969.
    • Jacob Rogers, July 1969-Apr. 1978.
    • Hollis Hiscock, Sept. 1978-Aug. 1990
    • Donald Young, Sept. 1990-June 1991.
    • William Abraham, Sept. 1991-
  • Description:
    Originally published as the Diocesan Magazine, the Newfoundland Churchman contains Anglican Church news and history, commentary on church matters and news from the missions.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1959-1993. Microfilm
    • MUN 1961- Original
    • PRL 1959-[1962]-[1964-1966]- Original
    • PRL 1959-1993. Microfilm
Newfoundland Citizen
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Dec. 3, 1948.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Editor in chief and publisher: John Albert Hiscock.
  • No holdings recorded.
Newfoundland Colonist
  • Place of publication: St. John's
  • Dates of publication: Mar. 6, 1886-July 8, 1892.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Title varies:
    • Colonist, Mar. 6, 1886-July 15, 1891.
    • Newfoundland Colonist, July 18, 1891-July 8, 1892.
  • Publisher: Colonist Printing and Publishing Co.
  • Proprietors: Devine & O'Mara(32)
  • Editor: Patrick R. Bowers.
  • Description:
    The Colonist published local and foreign news, legislative proceedings, literature and advertisements. Established soon after the exclusively Protestant government of Thorburn's Reform Party came into power, the Colonist was a supporter of the Catholic population. Its stated purpose was "to uphold and maintain intact the policy and principals of the Liberal Party." (Mar. 6, 1886) Despite this mandate, the paper did not devote much space to political commentary of any kind except for expressing an opposition to Confederation, which was not a major issue at that time. The Colonist was burnt out in the Great Fire of July 1892, but returned for a short time as the Tribune in November of that year. In 1899, Bowers apparently planned to revive the Colonist and printed a prospectus for the publication in the Tribune holiday number of that year.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1886-[1887]-1892 Microfilm
    • PRL 1886-1892 * Original
    • PRL 1886-[1887]-1892 Microfilm
Newfoundland Commercial Journal
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: 1855?-1892?
  • Officially registered: Oct. 1855 and Dec. 8, 1886.
  • Frequency:
    • Published on the arrival of every mail packet, and later, 1857.
    • Biweekly, 1881-1885.
  • Title varies:
    • Commercial Journal, Prices Current & Shipping List of Newfoundland, 1857
    • Newfoundland Commercial Journal, 1881-1885
  • Proprietor:
    • William James Ward, 1862.
    • Francis Winton, Aug. 30, 1865-Aug. 17, 1881.
    • William James Crocker, Oct. 12, 1881-1886.
    • William Henry Crocker, 1886- ? .
  • Description:
    The Newfoundland Commercial Journal was a single sheet newspaper printed on both sides. It published shipping intelligence (i.e. ship arrivals and departures), tables of import and export statistics, fishery news, exchange rates, and advertisements. It is listed in the Canadian Newspaper Directory until 1892.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1857], 1881-1883, 1885 Microfilm
    • PRL 1881-1883, 1885 Microfilm
Newfoundland Conservative
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Apr. 28, 1964.
  • Publisher: Progressive Conservative Association of Newfoundland.
  • Editor: Harvey Cole.
  • No holdings recorded.
Newfoundland Express (1851-1866) see Express

Newfoundland Express
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Dec. 6, 1972-Nov. 23, 1973.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Express Publishing Co.
  • Editor: Edward Coady.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundland Express contained provincial and social news, sports, entertainment news, television listings, a women's section, local history and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1972-1973 Microfilm
    • PRL 1972-1973 Original and microfilm
Newfoundland Gazette
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Aug. 27, 1807-
  • Frequency:
    • Weekly, Aug. 27, 1807-July 5, 1892.
    • Daily, July 12-Aug. 30, 1892.
    • Weekly, Sept. 5, 1892-
  • Title varies:
    • Royal Gazette and Newfoundland Advertiser, Aug. 27, 1807-July 5, 1892; Oct. 11, 1892-Sept. 30, 1924.
    • Royal Gazette, July 12-Oct. 4, 1892.
    • Newfoundland Gazette, Oct. 7, 1924-.
  • Printer and publisher:
    • Lewis K. Ryan for John Ryan, 1807?-Jan 13, 1818.
    • John Ryan, Jan. 20, 1818-Nov. 27, 1832.
    • Ryan & Withers, Dec. 4, 1832-Dec. 28, 1847.
    • John Collier Withers, Jan. 4, 1848-Nov. 28, 1890.
    • John W. Withers, Dec. 2, 1890-July 4, 1922.
    • Emma Hoyles Withers, July 11, 1922-Jan. 16, 1923.
    • Trade Printers and Publishers Ltd., Jan. 23, 1923-Sept. 30, 1924.
    • Trade Printers and Publishers Ltd. for David R. Thistle, Oct. 7, 1924-.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundland Gazette began publication as the Royal Gazette and was Newfoundland's first newspaper. The early issues contained extensive reprints from the foreign press, a very small amount of local news, shipping news, reports of associations such as the Benevolent Irish Society, very long rambling letters from readers (invariably unsigned), legal and official notices, and advertisements of all types, including ones seeking to apprehend deserting seamen and indentured servants. As other newspapers began publication in the Colony, the Gazette published extracts from their columns as well as letters from government officials disputing statements in other papers. After the establishment of the Legislature and the Supreme and Circuit Courts, the proceedings of these bodies were included. In the last half of the nineteenth century, the Gazette had its own London correspondent. Because the Gazette was a semi-official publication, it was expected to maintain an impartial editorial policy and the other papers were quick to criticize the slightest digression from the straight and narrow.

    By 1924, when the Royal Gazette became the Newfoundland Gazette, everything except government notices had disappeared from the paper. The basic format and contents have remained unchanged since that time.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1810-1813]-[1815-1818, 1828-1830]-[1836-1837]-[1840-1843]-[1846]-1982 Microfilm
    • MUN 1983- Microfiche
    • MUN [1949], 1954- Original
    • PANL [1810-1813]-[1815-1818, 1828-1830]-[1836-1837]-[1840-1843]- [1846]-1885 Microfilm
    • PRL [1816-1818, 1828-1830]-1839,[1842-1843]-[1846]- Original
    • PRL [1810-1813]-[1815-1818, 1828-1830]-[1836-1837]-[1840-1843]-[1846]- Microfilm
Newfoundland Government Bulletin see Newfoundland Bulletin

Newfoundland Herald
  • Place of publication: St. John's
  • Dates of publication: May 12, 1946-
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Title varies:
    • St. John's Sunday Herald, May 12, 1946-Mar. 6, 1949.
    • Newfoundland Sunday Herald, Mar. 13, 1949-June 8, 1952.
    • Sunday Herald, June 15, 1952-Jan. 4, 1959.
    • Newfoundland Weekend Herald and TV-Radio Guide, Jan. 11-14, 1959.
    • Newfoundland Weekly Herald and TV-Radio Guide, Feb. 1-Apr. 26, 1959.
    • Newfoundland Herald and TV-Radio Guide, May 3, 1959-Oct. 23, 1974.
    • Newfoundland Herald and Official TV-Radio Guide, Oct. 30, 1974-Jan. 15, 1975.
    • Newfoundland Herald, Jan. 22, 1975-Dec. 8, 1976.
    • Newfoundland Herald TV Week, Dec. 11-17, 1976-May 24-30, 1980.
    • Herald, May 31/June 6, 1980-June 2/8, 1984.
    • Newfoundland Herald, June 9/15, 1984-
  • Publisher: G. W. Stirling.
  • Publishing company: Sunday Herald Ltd.
  • Editor:
    • N. A. Murray, 1974-Jan. 7, 1975.
    • E. G. Feltham, Jan. 15-Apr. 9, 1975.
    • G. Anstey, Oct. 15, 1975-April 1980.
  • Description:
    The Herald assumed journal format in 1976, but was previously issued as a newspaper. At certain stages resembling the present-day supermarket tabloid, it published provincial news and other sensational news filler, gossip, sports, entertainment, history, social commentary, advertisements, television and radio listings and other features. In 1948, the Herald campaigned for Ches Crosbie and Responsible Government with economic union with the United States as a final objective.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1946-1976 Microfilm
    • MUN 1977- Original
    • PANL 1956-1976 * Microfilm
    • PRL 1946-1976 Microfilm
    • PRL 1947- * Original
Newfoundland Indicator
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Nov. 18, 1843 (v. 2, no. 72).
  • Latest issue located: Sept. 27, 1845.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Printer and publisher: Michael Jordan, Nov. 18, 1843-Sept. 6?, 1845. Printer, publisher, and proprietor: Michael Jordan and William A. Ryall, Sept. 13-27, 1845.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundland Indicator provided extensive coverage of the affairs of Ireland extracted from leading British newspapers, a "Catholic Intelligence" section, general domestic and foreign news, a summary of the proceedings of the Legislature and advertisements. The journal was politically Liberal and pro-Catholic. A large amount of space was devoted to support of the Irish Repeal Association and the temperance movement.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1843]-1844-[1845] Microfilm
    • PRL 1844-[1845] Original and microfilm
Newfoundland Lumberman
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Sept. 27, 1938.
  • Frequency: Biweekly.
  • Publisher: Blackmore Printing Co.
  • Editor: Joseph J. Thompson.
  • No holdings recorded.
Newfoundland Mercantile Journal
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Sept. 11, 1816 (no. 108).
  • Last issue located: June 7, 1827.
  • Frequency:
    • Semiweekly, Sept. 11, 1816-Jan. 11, 1817.
    • Weekly, Jan. 17, 1817-June 7, 1827.
  • Printer and publisher:
    • Haire & Lee, Sept. 11, 1816-May 16?, 1817.
    • Robert Lee, May 23-June 13, 1817.
    • Donald M'Phee Lee, Jan. 9, 1818-June 7, 1827.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundland Mercantile Journal was made up almost entirely of material selected from the foreign press, advertisements, official and legal notices, and shipping news. Domestic news, including death notices, rarely filled more than half a column and dealt mainly with the activities of prominent citizens, accidents and fires. The Nov. 23, 1816 edition expressed concern over the problems of the coming winter in light of the severe poverty in the city. The Jan. 3, 1822 issue pondered the poor state of the economy, but even this sort of editorial comment was rare and problems of the Colony were given much less attention than were events abroad.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1816-1827] Microfilm
    • PANL [1816-1824] Microfilm
    • PRL [1816-1827] Original and microfilm
Newfoundland Outlook
  • Place of publication: Bay Roberts
  • Began publication: Nov. 1903?
  • Officially registered: Jan. 12, 1904.
  • Only issue located: Sept. 12, 1908 (v. 5, no. 35).
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Proprietors: H. M. Mosdell, C. W. Mosdell.
  • Publisher: Outlook Publishing Co.
  • Description:
    When the Vindicator and Brigus Reporter ceased publication in Oct. 1903, a local company purchased the printing plant with the intention of reissuing that paper as the Outlook at the beginning of the next month.(33) The Sept. 12, 1908 issue includes national and social news. A lengthy editorial describes the new pulp mill and dam at Grand Falls in glowing terms. Another editorial berates the Tories and the Western Star complained that the Outlook was publishing the legislative proceedings two months after the close of the legislature (Apr. 22, 1908). The paper was purchased by C.E. Russell and renamed the Bay Roberts Outlook in 1909.(34)
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Sept. 12, 1908 (CNS Archives)
Newfoundland Patriot see Patriot and Terra Nova Herald

Newfoundland Press
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Only issue located: Undated and unnumbered, probably 1956.
  • Publisher: Newfoundland Press Company Ltd.
  • Description:
    "Published in the interests of the Progressive-Conservative Party in Newfoundland" the Newfoundland Press appears to be Tory campaign literature published in newspaper format with a "letters to the editor" column and anti-Smallwood articles.
  • Holdings:
    • PRL [1956] (JNM 20)
Newfoundland Sentinel and General Commercial Register
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: 1818-1820?
  • Publisher: Lewis Kelly Ryan.
  • Description:
    The Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador describes the Newfoundland Sentinel as a "reform-minded" newspaper, and an exception to the noncontroversial nature of other early Newfoundland newspapers(35). A Sentinel writer with the pseudonym "Amicus" set off a flurry of letters to the editor and editorials in the Mercantile Journal beginning in August 1818 and continuing until early 1820. An anonymous letter in the Aug. 7, 1818 Mercantile Journal addressed "To the Printer of the Sentinel" indicated something of the nature of the paper: "If by any fair means you cou'd obtain ... a sufficient number of advertisements to occupy the space you allot in your Sentinel, to political discussions, and often in themselves useless, and often imprudently offensive--their substitution wou'd not only assist your pocket, but gain you credit for worldly wisdom ..."

    The publisher, Lewis K. Ryan, who had published the Royal Gazette for John Ryan until early 1818, left Newfoundland after being charged with libel and the Sentinel apparently ceased publication at that time or shortly afterward.
  • No holdings recorded.
Newfoundland Signal
  • Place of publication: Toronto
  • Earliest issue located: Aug. 20-26, 1975 (v. 1, issue 36).
  • Latest issue located: Jan. 31-Feb. 1977 (v. 3, issue 3).
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Patrick T. Power.
  • Editor: Rubin J. Cusipag.
  • Publishing company: Hibbs-Power Communications.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundland Signal was published "For Maritimers and Newfoundlanders living away from their home province." It included local news from the Atlantic Region. The only copies known to still exist were found among J. R. Smallwood's private papers.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Aug. 20-26, 1975, Jan. 31-Feb. 13, 1977.
Newfoundland Sunday Herald see Newfoundland Herald

Newfoundland Times
  • Place of publication: New York.
  • Began publication: Dec. 7, 1940.
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 20, 1941.
  • Frequency:
    • Weekly, Dec. 7, 1940-Aug. 25, 1941.
    • Biweekly, Sept. 6-Dec. 20, 1941.
  • Title varies:
    • Newfoundland Weekly, Dec. 7, 1940-Aug. 25, 1941.
    • Newfoundland Times, Sept. 6-Dec. 20, 1941.
  • Publisher: Newfoundland Publishing Co.
  • Managing editor: Robert H. Tait.
  • Description:
    "A Newfoundland news digest for U. S. Newfoundlanders" this paper was a successor to the Newfoundland Weekly previously published in Boston.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1940-1941 Microfilm
Newfoundland Trade Review
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Sept. 14, 1892(36).
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 24, 1948 (v. 52, no. 28).
  • Frequency:
    • Biweekly, 1892-1898
    • Weekly, 1898-
    • Biweekly, 1946-1948.
  • Title varies:
    • Trade Review, 1892-Oct. 7, 1922.
    • Newfoundland Trade Review, Oct. 14, 1922-1948.
  • Publisher:
    • Devine & O'Mara, 1892-1910.
    • Trade Printers and Publishers, 1922-1948.
  • Editor:
    • Devine & O'Mara, 1892-July 2, 1910.
    • M. A. Devine, July 7-Dec. 31, 1910.
    • D.R. Thistle, 1922-1948.
  • Description:
    The Trade Review was "a newspaper devoted to trade and commerce and all that pertains thereto." At first it was devoted exclusively to business, fishery and shipping news as well as carrying advertisements and public notices. A women's section and serial fiction were added later. At times editorials and general domestic and foreign news coverage were included.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1895]*, 1922, 1924-1926/27 Original
      *CNS Archives, Howley Coll.
    • MUN [1892-1894, 1899-1901]-[1904]-1907, 1909-[1910], 1922, 1924-1927, 1946-1948 Microfilm
    • PRL [1892-1894, 1899-1901]-[1904]-1907, 1909-[1910], 1922, 1924-1927, 1946-1948 Microfilm
    • THS [1915] Original
Newfoundland Vindicator
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Jan 2. 1841.
  • Last issue located: May 14, 1842.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Proprietor: Printer to the Honorable the House of Assembly.
  • Printer and publisher: William Beck.
  • Editor:
    • Walter Dillon, Jan. 2-Dec. 11, 1841.
    • John V. Nugent, Dec. 18, 1841-May 14, 1842.(37)
  • Description:
    The Newfoundland Vindicator contained local and foreign news with special attention to Irish news, proceedings of the superior courts and courts of session, abstracts of Legislative discussions, and advertisements. A great amount of space was devoted to the discussion of the violence which took place in the recent Conception Bay elections, an issue over which the Vindicator was at odds with the Patriot. The Vindicator at first had columns covering "Catholic Intelligence" and "Protestant Intelligence", but the Protestant column was soon dropped. The Vindicator opposed both the Times and the Public Ledger. Beck and John Kent, who often wrote for the paper, were fined for libeling the editor of the Ledger in June of 1841. A lengthy, bitter, but vague, article was published upon the retirement of Governor Prescott in May of the same year.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1841-1842] Microfilm
    • PRL [1841-1842] Original and microfilm
Newfoundland War Savers Bulletin see Newfoundland Bulletin

Newfoundland Weekend Herald see Newfoundland Herald

Newfoundland Weekly
  • Place of publication: Boston.
  • Began publication: July 19, 1924.
  • Last issue located: Jan. 9, 1932.
  • Frequency: Biweekly.
  • Publisher: Newfoundland Publishing Co.
  • Editor: Robert H. Tait and Archibald G. Gibb.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundland Weekly was published for the large Newfoundland community in the Boston area and carried news of local interest as well as extensive reprints from Newfoundland newspapers.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1924-1932 Microfilm
Newfoundland Weekly (New York) see Newfoundland Times

Newfoundland Weekly
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Dec. 15, 1956.
  • Last issue located: Nov. 22, 1957.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Weekly Publishing Co. Ltd.
  • Editor: Bren Walsh.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundland Weekly claimed to be a nonpartisan newspaper, but had a mildly opposition tone, viewing the Smallwood administration with skepticism. Two individuals involved in the paper, Jim McGrath and Arthur Harnett, had been unsuccessful Progressive-Conservative candidates in the previous election(38). The Newfoundland Weekly contained the usual features of the typical weekly of the time but had no government advertising.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1956-1957 Microfilm
    • PRL 1956-1957 Original and microfilm
Newfoundland Weekly Herald and TV-Radio Guide see Newfoundland Herald

Newfoundlander
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Aug. 8, 1827 (no. 3)
  • Last issue located: Dec. 30, 1884.
  • Frequency:
    • Weekly, Aug. 8, 1827-May 22, 1845.
    • Semiweekly, May 26, 1845-Jan. 28, 1847.
    • Weekly, Feb. 4, 1847-Apr. 29, 1852.
    • Semiweekly, May 3, 1852-Dec. 30, 1884.
  • Printer and publisher:
    • John Shea, Aug. 8, 1827-May 18, 1837.
    • William Richard Shea, May 25, 1837-Mar. 14, 1844.
    • Ambrose Shea, Apr. 18, 1844-Jan. 29, 1846.
    • Edward Dalton Shea, Feb. 2, 1846-Dec. 30, 1884.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundlander contained domestic news, court cases, legislative proceedings, poetry and prose, extensive foreign news, shipping and fishing news, public notices and advertisements. Although it had a lively correspondence column, the Newfoundlander refrained from editorial commentary on domestic politics until the 1840's. The Newfoundlander was Liberal and Catholic in its editorial policy and disagreed with the Public Ledger and later, the Express, on many issues. In 1843, it opposed the Colleges Bill which would set up separate denominational educational systems. The paper often expressed concern with the widespread poverty, especially in the outports.

    The paper was eager for the return of Representative Government and had little patience with the opponents of Responsible Government who it found to be "thoroughly English in their predilections and antipathies" (Apr. 8, 1848). E. D. Shea, who now controlled the paper, became a member of the Legislature in 1848 and, except for the period from 1869 to 1873, served until his death in 1913. Initially cautious about reciprocal free trade with the United States, by 1856 he felt it would be a remedy to many of the Colony's economic problems. The Newfoundlander was the chief opposition paper during the Hoyles administration but in 1865, Shea was appointed Financial Secretary in the Carter cabinet.

    The Newfoundlander had by this time become the principal Confederate newspaper and, with its old rival, the Express, a major opponent of the Charles Fox Bennett administration. The Chronicle, felt to be Bennett's mouthpiece, was the main adversary until 1881 and, after that, the Evening Telegram. Shea became Colonial Secretary in the second Carter administration and enthusiastically supported the railway. The paper opposed the New Party and supported the Whiteway government until it ceased publication at the end of 1884.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1827-1835], 1837-[1846-1849, 1851]-[1855-1856]-[1858]-[1860]-[1863]- [1865]-[1868]-[1873]-[1877]-1884 Microfilm
    • PANL [1827-1835], 1837-[1846-1849,1851]-[1855-1856]-[1858]-[1860]-[1863]- [1865]-[1868]-[1873]-[1877]-1884 Microfilm
    • PRL [1827-1835], 1837-[1846-1849, [1851]-[1855-1856]-[1858]-[1860]-[1863]-[1865]-[1868]-[1873]-[1877]-1884 Original and microfilm
Newfoundlander
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Oct. 6, 1934.
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 20, 1934.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Commercial Quick Print.
  • Editor: J. T. Meaney.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundlander was totally "dedicated to the restoration of self-Government" and devoted itself to attacking the Commission of Government and Prime Minister Alderdice. Not surprisingly, it received no government advertising and, by November, announced that the government was threatening to withhold government patronage from firms advertising in the journal. The paper apparently folded after three months.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1934 Microfilm
    • PRL 1934 Original and microfilm
Newfoundlander
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: June 1938.
  • Latest issue located: Nov.-Dec. 1954.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Title varies:
    • Barrelman, June 1938-194 .
    • Newfoundlander, 194 -1954.
  • Publisher:
    • Barrelman Publishing Co., June 1938-194 .
    • Newfoundlander Publishing Co., 194 -1954.
  • Editor:
    • J. R. Smallwood, 1938- ?(39)
    • Michael F. Harrington, 1943-1954.
  • Description:
    Originally published under the title, the Barrelman, the Newfoundlander was distributed free of charge for many years and claimed to reach "every home in Newfoundland's 1300 towns and villages" for a total circulation of over 40,000. It concentrated on Newfoundland culture and history as well as offering practical advice on domestic science and agriculture. It contained some provincial news and, politically neutral for the most part, supported Responsible Government in 1948. An index to the songs printed in the Newfoundlander is available at the MUN Folklore and Language Archive.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1938-[1941, 1944]-1954 Microfilm
      MUNFLA [1944]-1954 * Original
    • PRL 1938-[1941, 1944]-1954 Microfilm
    • PRL 1938-1940, 1945-[1948-1952]-[1954] Original
Newfoundlander
  • Place of publication: Willowdale, Ont.
  • Began publication: Sept. 14, 1968.
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 28, 1968.
  • Frequency: Weekly
  • Publisher and editor: John Breen.
  • Description:
    The Newfoundlander was intended for Newfoundlanders living in Ontario. Selling for 15 an issue, it included Newfoundland news, social and club news, and advertisements for Ontario businesses.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Sept. 14, Nov. 30, and Dec. 28, 1968
News see Daily News

News-Letter
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Aug. 10, 1880.
  • Publisher: J. P. Gleeson.
  • No holdings recorded.
News 'n Blue Pepperrell
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located: Feb. 8, 1957.
  • Latest issue located: Mar. 21, 1957.
  • Frequency: Biweekly
  • Publisher: Pepperrell Air Force Base.
  • Editor: William F. Graves.
  • Description:
    News 'n Blue Pepperrell was an official U. S. Air Force newspaper published for the personnel of Pepperrell Air Force Base. It featured news of the base, sports and recreation news, a women's column, a chaplain's column, cartoons and items from the Armed Forces Press Service.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Feb. 8 and Mar. 21, 1957
North Star and St. John's, Newfoundland News
  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: July 27, 1872.
  • Latest issue located: Sept. 24, 1881.
  • Frequency:
    • Weekly, July 27, 1872-July 5, 1873.
    • 3 per week, Oct. 4-Nov. 13, 1873.
    • Weekly, Nov. 22, 1873-July 30, 1881.
  • Title varies:
    • St. John's News, Aug. 3, 1872-Jan. 18, 1873.
    • North Star and St. John's, Newfoundland, News, Feb. 1-July 5, 1873.
    • St. John's News, Oct. 4-Nov. 13, 1873.
    • North Star and St. John's, Newfoundland, News, Nov. 22, 1873-July 30, 1881.
  • Editor and proprietor: Robert Winton.
  • Description:
    The North Star began publication under the title St. John's News and was intended to continue the St. John's Daily News after a two year hiatus in publication. It contained domestic news, reprints from the foreign press, legislative proceedings, farm and garden advice, poetry, editorials and advertisements. It was at first very Protestant and had a large section on religious affairs, but later became less obviously sectarian. The paper opposed Bennett and the Chronicle, and supported Carter. The North Star went on to support Whiteway and the railway.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1872-[1881] Microfilm
    • PRL 1872-[1881] Original and microfilm
Northeast Guardian
  • Place of publication: New York.
  • Dates of publication: Jan. 13, 1953-Mar. 1957.
  • Frequency: Biweekly.
  • Publisher: United States Northeast Command.
  • Printer: Robinson & Co. Ltd.
  • Editor:
    • Basil R. Adams, 1953-May 30, 1954.
    • Ted Burgert, Aug. 30, 1954-Aug. 31, 1955.
    • Carroll Meyers, Sept. 15-Oct. 15, 1955.
    • Jerry Griffith, Oct. 31, 1955.
    • Sidney J. Leigh, Nov. 15, 1955-Mar. 1957.
  • Description:
    The Northeast Guardian included news of the bases belonging to the U. S. Air Force Northeast Air Command, including Harmon, Pepperell and Goose Bay.
  • Holdings:
    • PRL [1953-1957] (JNM 40)
Northern Light
  • Place of publication: Labrador City.
  • Began publication: Nov. 7, 1964.
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 19, 1964.
  • Frequency: Irregular.
  • Publisher: Sentinel Press.
  • Editor: Francis J. Galgay.
  • French editor: Yvon Fortier.
  • Description:
    Printed in Sept-Îles, Québec, the Northern Light published local news, poetry, and advertisements in both English and French for the western Labrador region. It maintained a politically independent, non-denominational editorial policy.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Nov. 7, Dec. 19, 1964
    • PRL Nov. 7, 21, Dec. 19, 1964 (JNM 40)
Northern Pen
  • Place of publication: St. Anthony.
  • Dates of publication: Mar. 5, 1980-
  • Frequency:
    • Biweekly, Mar. 5-Apr. 30, 1980.
    • Weekly, May 7, 1980-
  • Publishing company: Bebb Publishing.
  • Publisher: Bernard Bromley, Nov. 29, 1989-
  • Editor:
    • Bernard Bromley, 1980-Nov. 22, 1989.
    • Allan Bock, Nov. 29, 1989-
  • Description:
    The Northern Pen is an award-winning community paper providing regional coverage of the Northern Peninsula and Labrador. The paper features regional and community news, provincial and government news on issues affecting the region, local history, career opportunities, arts and crafts, and extensive coverage of the fishery. By 1988, the Northern Pen was one of the only remaining independent community weeklies in the province. In 1989, Bromley became the Mayor of St. Anthony and stepped down from the editor's chair.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 3 months only Original
    • MUN 1980- Microfilm
    • PRL 1980- Original and microfilm
Northern Reporter
  • Place of publication: Happy Valley.
  • Began publication: Dec. 3, 1966.
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 21, 1992.
  • Frequency:
    • Weekly, Dec. 3, 1966-Oct. 22, 1983.
    • Semiweekly, Oct. 26, 1983-Mar. 3, 1984.
    • Weekly, Mar. 7-June 23, 1984.
    • Daily, July 3-Sept. 14, 1984.
    • Weekly, Sept. 21, 1984-1992.
  • Suspended publication: July 1971-1982.
  • Publisher:
    • H. Brett, 1968-1970.
    • Strobe Enterprises, Jan.-Mar. 1971.
    • Bernard Heard, May-June 1971.
    • HIB Distributing, 1983-Jan. 1985.
    • Northern Reporter Ltd., Feb. 1985-1992.
  • Editor:
    • Iris Brett, 1968-1970.
    • Bob Romkey and Ron Pyne, Jan.-Mar. 1971.
    • Iris Brett, 1983-July 8, 1991.
    • Herbert Brett, July 15, 1991-June 29, 1992.
  • Management and production editing: Northern Management Services, July 6-Dec. 21, 1992.
  • Description:
    The Northern Reporter published municipal and Labrador news, entertainment, a great deal of syndicated filler material, sports, television listings, government notices and advertisements. The Northern Reporter was first published in mimeographed format, changing to a printed tabloid in 1985.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1966-[1967]-[1970-1971, 1983-1984]-[1987-1991]-1992 Microfilm
    • PRL 1966-[1967]-[1970-1971, 1983-1984]-[1987-1991]-1992 Original and microfilm
Northern Standard
  • Place of publication: Twillingate.
  • Officially registered: Aug. 31, 1897.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: William A. McKay.
  • No holdings recorded.
Nor'wester
  • Place of publication: Springdale.
  • Dates of publication: Dec. 15, 1971-
  • Frequency:
    • Biweekly, Dec. 15, 1971-July 7, 1976.
    • Weekly, Aug. 11, 1976-
  • Title varies:
    • Green Bay News, Dec. 15, 1971-Aug. 8, 1979.
    • Nor'wester, Aug. 15, 1979-
  • Publisher:
    • Francis Hull, Dec. 15, 1971-Aug. 27, 1986.
    • Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd., Sept. 3, 1986-
  • Editor:
    • Francis Hull, Dec. 15, 1971-Aug. 27, 1986.
    • Tana Ryan, Sept. 3, 1986-Sept. 14, 1988.
    • Kathy Dicks, Sept. 21, 1988-Sept. 6, 1989.
    • Suzanne Norman, Sept. 13, 1989-Mar. 14, 1990.
    • Tera Camus, Mar. 21, 1990-Mar. 24, 1993
    • Randy Edison, Mar. 31, 1993-
  • Description:
    The Nor'wester contains provincial news, regional news of the Green Bay-White Bay region, social and personal news, local poetry, church news, sports, television listings, public notices, letters, and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 3 months only. Original
    • MUN 1971-Aug. 8, 1979. Microfilm
    • PRL 1971- Original
    • PRL 1971-Aug. 8, 1979. Microfilm.