Placing Items on Reserves
Instructors can place course-related material on reserve (short term loan) at any of the branch libraries. Items placed on reserve are organized by instructor name and course number and are made accessible through Course Resources (Reserves).
In accordance with Memorial University's Use of Copyright Materials Policy, the Library will make the following available through Library Reserves:
- Links to material within our licensed electronic resources, such as our electronic journal subscriptions, where permitted
- Links to material in the public domain or covered by an appropriate Creative Commons http://creativecommons.org/ license
- Links to digital materials for which permission is required, has been granted, and a copy supplied to the library with the request to place the material on reserve.
Note: Link to electronic content may also be embedded into course management systems or presentations. See Creating Links to Online Resources for instructions.
- Personal material for which faculty own the copyright (e.g. lecture notes, assignments, solutions)
- Original print books, journal issues or volumes, DVDs, CDs, etc.
- Memorial University Libraries will purchase copies of original works not in their collections in order to place an original work on reserve, with the exception of textbooks adopted for courses. Send requests to your copyright liaison librarian.
- Photocopies of works in the public domain or covered by an appropriate Creative Commons license
- Photocopies of copyright-protected works that were made in compliance with Memorial's Fair Dealing Requirements
Instructors can choose the loan period for each item.
|Strict 2 Hour||Material must be returned at closing time|
|2 Hour + overnight||Material can be taken out of the library overnight if checked out less than 2 hours before closing time.|
|3 Day||Material can be taken out for 3 days|
Other restrictions placed on use:
- Students may borrow up to 2 books or 4 photocopied items at one time.
- Material may not be renewed or placed on hold.
Placing Items on Reserve
Fill out our Reserve form to place items on reserve. Forms are available at the Circulation Desk of your branch library or can be completed online.
Removing Materials from Reserve
Materials are taken off reserve at the end of each term as soon as the scheduled examination time for each course has passed. If this presents any problem, please notify Reserve staff before examinations begin.
Faculty may borrow reserve material subject to the same loan periods and overdue fines as for students. The reserve overdue fine is $2.00/hour.
Ever wonder how many times an item you placed on reserve has been circulated over the course of the term? If you are interested in having this information, please contact Reserves staff.
Contact the Circulation department for your library:
- QEII Library 864-7423
- Health Sciences Library 864-6070
- Grenfell Library 637-2383
- MI Library 778-0662
- MRC 864-4471
- Education 864-7465