Library Instruction and Research Help
What do we teach?
Our Health Information Teaching Series (HSL HITS), course integrated instruction, and departmental workshops include the following topics:
- Copyright and Open Access
- Citation Management Tools
- Google and Google Scholar
- Medical Apps
- PubMed, CINAHL, Embase and more
- Beyond UptoDate
- Research Metrics/Bibliometrics
- Data Management
Click for the current schedule and for online registration.
Suggestions and requests for other topics are welcome and much appreciated. We offer tailored sessions for individuals or groups. Contact Michelle Swab, Instruction Coordinator, for further information.
Who do we teach?
- students (Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
- faculty (Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing)
- staff (Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing)
- Eastern Health Employees (Health Sciences Centre)
- NLHKIN Members
- We teach individuals, groups, departments, classes, etc.
Why do we teach?
- Our expertise lies in knowing which resources are best suited to specific informational needs and how to search them efficiently and effectively.
- With so much information available at your fingertips we can help you make better and more informed resource and searching choices.
- We support Memorial's mission to help students become lifelong learners.
- We guarantee that everyone will learn at least one new and helpful tool or trick during any of our sessions.
When do we teach?
- HSL HITS Workshops are offered throughout the semester. The schedule varies per semester.
- Course specific instruction schedules vary per semester
- Departmental, group or individual sessions are booked based on space and instructor availability. Contact Michelle Swab, Instruction Coordinator, to book and plan a session
This workshop is a must for new faculty who would like an orientation to the library. Find out about the great services and products that are available to you such as literature searching, in class instruction sessions, and much more. Come armed with questions and ideas about how we can help you.
Course Specific Instruction
The best library instruction is tailored for and integrated into a course. Librarians can work with course and workshop instructors to develop library components and if desired, research assignments which will enforce your teaching objectives and help develop information literacy skills.
One on One Sessions
Can't make it to a library tutorial? Got a series of questions on library and information resources? Overwhelmed by so many resources? Not sure whether or not you're getting the most out of your searching? We can arrange to come to your office or departmental meeting to deliver a training session designed to suit your specific needs. We can also customize a hands-on tutorial for small groups. The length of the sessions and the content are entirely up to you.