Historical Directory of Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers D-F

Daily Colonist see Newfoundland Colonist

Daily Globe check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St.John's
  • Began publication: Dec. 16, 1924.
  • Last issue located: June 5, 1926.
  • Frequency:
    • Daily (except Sunday), Dec. 16, 1924-Apr. 26, 1926.
    • Three times a week, Apr. 29-June 5, 1926.
  • Publisher:
    • Daily Globe Pub. Co., Dec. 16, 1924-May 18?, 1926.
    • Union Publishing Co., May 20-June 5, 1926.
  • Editor:
    • H. M. Mosdell, Dec. 16, 1924-Jan. 23, 1926. 
    • Richard Hibbs, Jan. 25-June 5, 1926.
  • Description:
    The Daily Globe printed local and foreign news, sports and advertisements, and claimed to be the first paper in Newfoundland to publish in colour. Editorially, the Daily Globe was "opposed politically from the first page of this and every subsequent issue to the last, to the Monroe administration and supports cheerfully and wholeheartedly the Liberal Party in Newfoundland (Dec. 16, 1924)."
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1924-1926 Microfilm
    • PRL 1924-1926 Original and microfilm

Daily Journal

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: May 15, 1924.
  • Frequency: Daily.
  • Publisher: Union Publishing Company Ltd.
  • Proprietor: Lemeul Bartlett.
  • No holdings recorded.

Daily Ledger see Public Ledger 

Daily Mail (1914) see Evening Advocate 

Daily Mail check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Feb. 19, 1923-Sept. 13, 1924.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Publisher: Newfoundland Publishers Ltd.
  • Editor: H. M. Mosdell.
  • Description:
    "Incorporating the Daily Star and the Evening Herald", the Daily Mail claimed to have "no connection with either or with the concerns that used to issue them" (Feb. 10, 1923). The paper printed local and foreign news, government notices, advertisements and other features. Editorially it supported Squires government and carried the slogan "the voice of liberalism and labour in Newfoundland."
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1923-1924 Microfilm
    • PRL 1923-1924 Original and microfilm

Daily News (1860-1870) see St. John's Daily News

Daily News check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Feb. 15, 1894-June 4, 1984.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Proprietor:
    • John Alex. Robinson, Feb. 15, 1894-Dec. 3, 1898.
    • H. Y. Mott, Dec. 5, 1898-Sept. 20, 1902.
  • Publishing company:
    • News Publishing Co. Ltd., Sept. 22, 1902-May 31, 1906.
    • Robinson & Co., June 1, 1906-Dec. 19, 1968.
    • Robinson-Blackmore Printing & Publishing Ltd., Dec. 20, 1968-Aug. 3, 1970 & 1980-Oct. 1981.
    • Daily News Ltd., Aug. 4, 1970-1980.
    • Tower Communications, Oct. 1981-June 4, 1984.
  • Publisher: W. R. Callahan, Dec. 1971-June. 4, 1984.
  • Editor:
    • John Alex. Robinson, Feb. 15, 1894-Nov. 17, 1897; May 22, 1906-1916.
    • Walter S. March, Jan. 3-Dec. 3, 1898.
    • H. Y. Mott, Dec. 5, 1898-May 21, 1906.
    • John S. Currie, 1916-1956.
    • L. C. Currie, 1956-1971.
    • James R. Thoms, 1971-1984.(9)
  • Description:
    When it first appeared, the Daily News acknowledged "we do not make the time-honored apology that we are filling a long-felt want" and promised to take an independent course in politics. "Sanitary affairs and all matters tending to the advancement of our social condition will receive special attention in our columns and it is our desire to be the organ, not of the Municipal Council, but of the Municipality of St. John's" (Feb. 16, 1894).

    The early issues had four pages with most of the space devoted to advertisements and serial fiction. There was also court news, legislative news and a small amount of international news. Much of the municipal news was of a light nature, describing, for example, a runaway bread wagon, a dog biting a policeman, a clergyman falling on ice and part of a brick wall falling down.

    The Daily News quickly assumed an opposition stance toward the governing Whiteway party. "Fiercely radical in profession, but tory in spirit, they have no idea of upsetting the established order of things and have become staid and solid office-holders, extinct political volcanoes" (Feb. 17, 1894).

    The Daily News editorially opposed the "government organ" and "violent liberal journal" (Feb. 17, 1894), the Evening Telegram on political and civic matters. Despite this, business relations between the papers were courteous. "On more than one occasion, difficulties with the Mechanical Department arose, and we ever found Mr. Herder willing to give a helping hand." (July 7, 1907). After 1900, the Daily News bickered continually with the Evening Herald , who said of it: "Morine's flow of natural gas is as noxious and uncontrollable as ever, and the 'News' is the medium thro' which it is disseminated to a disgusted public" (Jan. 17, 1901).

    In October 1905, the paper acquired a Duplex Press and expanded to 6 pages. It took on a more modern appearance with banner headlines and large illustrations. Special sections of Harbour Grace, Brigus and Avondale news were added. The News took the side of the merchant classes, expressed concern about the tolerance for smuggling, and supported prohibition. When the News was in opposition to the government, it tended toward sensationalism.

    From 1908 to 1917, the News supported the People's Party headed by former Liberal Edward Morris, "a man that up to a year or so ago, the same editor had nothing too bad to say or think of."(10) After the Great War, the News found itself on the same side as the Evening Telegram, supporting the Liberal-Labor Party of M.P. Cashin and J. C. Crosbie, and opposing Squires, whom it accused of being a puppet of Coaker. (Jan. 23, 1920). Coaker's paper was the major opponent at that time: "The Advocate is, perhaps, the most ludicrous paper that ever struck our shores, for its big headlines and bluff articles and faked messages are the laughing-stock of all men" (Nov. 1, 1919).

    The paper blamed the Squires government and the authorities for causing the riot of Apr. 6, 1932 and effusively praised the Alderdice administration which followed. In 1948, the Daily News supported at least a temporary return to Responsible Government before any decision on Confederation was made. The paper supported the Progressive-Conservative Party in 1949 but later became increasingly favorable toward Smallwood and the Liberals. When the Smallwood government was defeated in 1971, former cabinet minister Bill Callahan became publisher. For a short time, they published a column by Smallwood and the paper continued to be strongly Liberal in policy.

    During the trawlermen's strike in 1975, the Progressive-Conservative government temporarily withdrew its advertising over the News' coverage of the situation. "Boy, it's those damn' editorials you've been printing on your front page" explained a government official (Mar. 3, 1975). The paper was a strong critic of the Peckford administration, notably for his lack of agreement with the federal government on offshore oil and gas development. Peckford did not withdraw government advertising because of this, but the News had continued financial problems, nearly folding in 1981. In early 1982, it changed to a tabloid. "With the change in dimensions came a marked difference in the style in which the news content was presented," the Evening Telegram tactfully stated on June 6, 1984.

    The Daily News finally went into receivership in 1984, leaving St. John's with only one remaining daily paper. A partial index to the Daily News is available in the Provincial Reference and Resource Library.

  • Holdings:
    • GRCOL 1894-[1897]-[1908-1914]-[1919-1920] Microfilm
    • MHA [1894-1898]-[1900-1902, 1904, 1907]-[1912-1914]-[1918-1920]-[1924-1926]-[1928-1929]-[1932-1934]-[1936]-[1939]-[1943], 1945-[1946-1947]-[1954]-[1967-1969] Original
    • MUN 1894-[1897]-[1908-1914]-[1919-1920]-1984 Microfilm
    • PANL [1894-1969, 1971-1972] Microfilm (negative)
    • PRL 1894-[1897]-[1908-1914]-[1919-1920]-1984 Original 
    • PRL 1894-[1897]-[1908-1914]-[1919-1920]-1984 Microfilm

Daily Review check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Aug. 1-Oct. 6, 1899.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Proprietors: Devine & O'Mara.
  • Editor: M. A. Devine.
  • Description:
    The Daily Review was published in the months leading up to the election of 1899. The paper, which freely acknowledged itself to be "the mouthpiece of the Newfoundland Liberal Association," (Aug. 1, 1899) frequently attacked the Evening Herald editor and Conservative supporter "Little Pee-Tee" (P.T. McGrath). McGrath replied in kind: "Last night's editorial (?) In the 'Review' was ... low, mean and cowardly, as might be expected from the malodorous Murphy and the degraded Devine."(11)

    The Saturday numbers were issued as the Trade Review . The paper suspended publication after two months "for reasons not necessary to explain here."(12) 
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1899 Microfilm
    • PRL 1899 Microfilm

Daily Sessional

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: June 22, 1861.
  • Proprietor: Henry Winton.
  • No holdings recorded.

Daily Star see St. John's Daily Star

Daily Tribune (1892-93) see Tribune

Daily Tribune check MUN Holdings 

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Apr. 1, 1927 (v. 1, no. 2)
  • Ceased publication: Apr. 25, 1927.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Publisher: Richard Hibbs.
  • Editor: George F. Grimes
  • Description:
    The Daily Tribune was published in the weeks leading up to a St. John's East byelection to support the campaign of Liberal candidate W. E. Brophy. It ceased publication the day after Brophy's victory.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1927] Microfilm
    • PRL [1927] Original and microfilm

Daily Unionist check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: May 2-14, 1921.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Publisher: St. John's Union No. 703, International Typographical Union.
    Associate editors: E.J. Penny, W. Gaulton, A.G. Sutton.
  • Description:
    The Daily Unionist was published from the office of the Plaindealer during the strike of the St. John's Typographical Union "for the sole purpose of putting the position of the International Typographical Union before the public" (May 14, 1921). Devoted mainly to news of the strike and the union's grievances, it also featured domestic and foreign labor news, general news, editorials and letters to the editor.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1921 Microfilm.
    • PRL 1921 Original and microfilm.

Day-Book see Morning Chronicle

Deer Lake News

  • Place of Publication: Deer Lake
  • Dates of publication: Dec. 1960?- ?
  • Publisher: Edgar Russell.
  • Description:
    An article in an undated issue, probably Jan. 1961, of the Cee Bee Times, mentions that this paper began publication the previous week.
  • No holdings recorded.

Diocesan Review check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Corner Brook.
  • Dates of publication: June 7, 1964-June 1996.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Publisher: St. George's Diocese.
  • Editor: W. J. Boone.
  • Description:
    The Diocesan Review was originally established as a temporary means to disseminate information concerning the Regional Social Life Conference held in Corner Brook in 1964. It continued publication after the conference ended and became the official organ of St. George's Diocese. Besides featuring items of interest to the different parishes and the Diocese as a whole, it promoted the social doctrines of the Catholic Church. It contained Newfoundland church history, news of the Vatican, Canadian and foreign church news, social and personal news and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1970-1973]-1996 Original
    • MUN 1964-1980 Microfilm
    • PRL 1964-1996 Original
    • PRL 1964-1980 Microfilm

Downhomer check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Brampton, Ont. and St. John's.
  • Dates of publication:
    • June 22, 1988- (Upalong edition)
    • Oct. 1989- (Newfoundland edition)
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Title varies:
    • Downhomer, June 22, 1988-Mar. 1993.
    • Downhomer Magazine, Apr. 1993-
  • Publisher:
    • Newfoundland Society of Brampton, 1988.
    • Downhomer Publications, 1989-
  • Printer:
    • Metroland (Upalong edition)
    • Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd. (Newfoundland edition)
  • Editor: Ron Young.
  • Description:
    The Downhomer publishes Newfoundland news and history, church and social news, Newfoundland community profiles, letters to the editor, book reviews, articles from Newfoundlanders living elsewhere, articles on Newfoundland folklore and culture, entertainment news, and advertisements. Originally intended for Newfoundlanders in Ontario, it expanded its distribution nationwide, adding a special Newfoundland edition in 1989 and had a circulation of 45,000 in 1990. It changed from tabloid to magazine format in 1996.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1988-
    • PRL 1988-

Early Shopper

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:June 3, 1996 (v. 1, no. 2).
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: The Evening Telegram
  • Description:
    The Early Shopper is distributed free of charge and features about 8 pages of community news, photographs and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • PRL [1996]-


  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Apr. 7, 1904.
  • Publisher: Francis J. Sullivan.
  • No holdings recorded.

Echo check MUN Holdings

  • Channel-Port aux Basques
  • Began publication: Feb. 21, 1967.
  • Last issue located: May 24, 1972.
  • Frequency:
    • Semimonthly, Feb. 21, 1967-19 .
      Monthly (irregular), 19 -May 24, 1972.
  • Title varies:
    • Our Town's First Paper, Feb. 21-Mar. 14, 1967.
    • Echo, Mar. 28, 1967-May 24, 1972.
  • Printer: Robinson-Blackmore Printing & Publishing Ltd.
  • Editor:
    • Evelyn Currie and Mark Staple, Feb. 21, 1967-1968?
    • Evelyn Currie, Feb. 3, 1970-May 24, 1972.
  • Description:
    The Echo covered local news, sports, personal and social news of the southwest coast. It contained letters from readers, advertisements and public notices. The Echo was purchased by Robinson-Blackmore, who closed it down and began publication of the Gulf News in 1973.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1967-1972 Microfilm
    • PRL 1967-1972 Original and microfilm

Enterprise check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Oct. 21, 1896-Nov. 3, 1897.
  • Frequency: Semiweekly.
  • Proprietor: J. E. A. Furneaux.
  • Description:
    The Enterprise was a heavily illustrated paper that offered many cartoons and engravings of Newfoundland scenes, as well as local and foreign news, serial fiction, music, and advertisements. The publication proportedly "was not entered upon through any political expediency, but purely as a business venture" (Oct. 21, 1896) by John Furneaux, who was also published the Evening Mercury during the same time period. The editorials were progressive, supporting fisheries, economic and tax reforms. The Enterprise discontinued publication after a year because of "not having received the support anticipated" (Nov. 3, 1897).
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1896-1897] Microfilm
    • PRL [1896-1897] Microfilm and original

Enterprise (Trinity) see Trinity Enterprise

Evening Advocate

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Jan. 15, 1914-Nov. 8, 1924.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Title varies:
    • Daily Mail, Jan. 15-Apr. 30, 1914.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Mail and Advocate (Evening ed.)., May 1, 1914-Dec. 30, 1916.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Evening Advocate, Jan. 2, 1917-Nov. 8, 1924.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Publisher:
    • Daily Mail Publishing Co., Jan. 15-Apr. 30, 1914.
    • Mail and Advocate Publishing Co., May 1-3, 1914.
    • Union Publishing Co., May 4, 1914-Nov. 8, 1924.
  • Editor:
    • H. M. Mosdell, Jan. 15-Apr. 30, 1914.
    • John J. St. John, Oct. 14, 1915-Dec. 9, 1916.
    • Alex. W. Mews, Dec. 12, 1916-Jan. 31, 1923.
  • Other editions:
    • Fishermen's Advocate, Feb. 12, 1910-Apr. 25, 1914.  
    • Mail and Advocate (Weekly ed.), May 2, 1914-Dec. 30, 1916.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Weekly Advocate, Jan. 7 (?), 1917-Aug. 30, 1924.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Mail and Advocate (Morning ed.), Dec. 18-30, 1916.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Morning Advocate, Jan. 2-July 21, 1917.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Fishermen's Advocate, Sept. 5, 1924-May 22, 1980.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Description:
    The Evening Advocate was a daily edition of the Fishermen's Advocate. For a description of the editorial policy and content, see the entry for the Fishermen's Advocate.
  • Holdings:
    • MHA 1914 Original
    • MUN 1914-[1920]-1924 Microfilm
    • PRL 1914-1922 * Original
    • PRL 1914-[1920]-1924 Microfilm

Evening Chronicle

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: July 3, 1879?-Feb. 17, 1880?
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday)?
  • Publisher: Francis Winton.
  • Other editions:
  • Description:
    The masthead advertisements in the Morning Chronicle from July 3, 1879-Feb. 17, 1880 are the only source of information about the Evening Chronicle.
  • No holdings recorded.

Evening Chronicle check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Nov. 20, 1907-Dec. 31, 1912.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Publisher: Chronicle Publishing Co.
  • President and manager: P. T. McGrath
  • Description:
    The Evening Chronicle contained domestic and foreign news, advertisements, legislative proceedings, serial fiction, editorials and other features. The Chronicle was started by the former editor of the Evening Herald, P. T. McGrath, to support the government of the newly formed People's Party and Edward Morris. The paper opposed Confederation and the Bond party and was a rival to the Evening Telegram and Evening Herald. At the end of 1912, McGrath purchased theEvening Herald and merged the Chronicle into the older paper, converting the Herald from an opposition paper to a government mouthpiece.(13) 
  • Holdings:
    • MHA [1907-1910]-[1912] Original
    • MUN 1907-1912 Microfilm
    • PRL 1907-1912 Original and microfilm

Evening Colonist see Newfoundland Colonist

Evening Herald

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Jan. 4, 1882-Dec. 31, 1920.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Suspended:
    • July 9-Sept. 19, 1892.
    • Dec. 12, 1918-Mar. 17, 1919.
  • Title varies:
  • Publisher & proprietor: John E. A. Furneaux, Jan. 4, 1882-June 3, 1907.
  • Publisher & business manager for the executors of thelate J. E. A. Furneaux:
    • W. J. Kent, June 7, 1907-Sept. 4, 1909.
    • J. A. Scott, Sept. 25, 1909-May 20, 1911.
  • Publisher: Evening Herald, Ltd., July 1, 1911-Dec. 30, 1920.
  • Editor:
    • Moses Harvey, 1882-1883, 1885-1890?
    • Alfred B. Morine, July 11, 1883-1885.
    • H. E. Knight, 189 -189 .
    • H. W. LeMessurier, 189 -189 .
    • P. T. McGrath, Oct. 5, 1895-July 27, 1907.
    • J. T. Lawton, Aug. 16, 1907-Mar. 8, 1909.
    • P. J. Summers, Oct. 28, 1909-Dec. 7, 1912.
  • Managing director: P. T. McGrath, Dec. 9, 1912-Dec. 31, 1920.
  • Description:
    Well financed by a group of investers and equipped with a "splended new printing press," the Evening Mercury served as the organ of the Whiteway government until 1885. Notably less sensational than the Evening Telegram, the early issues had four 5-column pages and included advertisements, serial fiction, legislative proceedings and editorials. A staff member was appointed "to distil carefully from the whole range of newspaper literature whatever is valuable for the columns of the Mercury" (Jan. 11, 1882).

    The paper supported the railway and spoke for the merchant class and the Anglican and Presbyterian section of the Protestant population, but not necessarily the Methodists. "We have heard of cases in which Methodist clergy were persecuted, but it has been shown to us that such persecution resulted in good to them" (Nov. 14, 1884).

    Following the 1883 sectarian violence in Harbour Grace, editor A. B. Morine took an increasingly strong anti-Catholic, pro-Orange stance. On Sept. 28, 1887, the Mercury admitted: "[The Roman Catholics'] indignation had been around again and again, by Mr. Morine's most intemperate and violent articles in the columns of this paper, of which he was the editor, on the trials of the Harbor Grace prisoners. It was the organ of Sir Whiteway's government which was composed in part of Roman Catholics. By his writings he alienated and exasperated the Roman Catholic supporters of Sir William and did more than any other man to bring about the downfall of the government" (Sept. 28, 1887). Morine had resigned from the editorship in 1885 when the publisher of the paper advocated the amalgamation of Whiteway's supporters with the Reform Party. The Mercury remained loyal to Whiteway for a time, defending him against the attacks of the Reform Paper, the Watchman, but opposed Whiteway when he returned to politics a few years later. 

    The Mercury and the Evening Telegram squabbled over who had the most innovative layout and who was inflating their circulation numbers. Having each switched political allegiances in the opposite direction, they engaged in a lively name-calling battle on this subject. In an editorial on Sept. 19, 1889, the Telegram gave the Mercury a formidable tongue-lashing:
    No, no, Mr. Mercury, we have not been inconsistent. But you have been inconsistent, and ungrateful as well. You were warmed into life, in 1881, by Sir William Whiteway. He carefully nursed you along for several years, treating you liberally -- giving you much more than you deserved. But, in spite of all his kindness, in 1885, when his perfidious friends -- not open enemies -- conspired to compass his overthrow, you not only cruelly turned around and bit the hand that fed you, -- you did worse than that even: you went over to the conspirators -- you, a clergyman ...
    After the Reform Party was swept from office in 1889 and changed its name to the Patriotic Association, the Mercurychanged its name to the Evening Herald. In 1897, the paper campaigned for Winter and the Conservatives, saying on Sept. 10, "What has the Liberal Party done for you? Levelled Water Street, broken the banks and destroyed the merchants who bought your fish." It supported White in 1899, but in 1900 reluctantly joined the Evening Telegram in supporting the Bond government and opposing Morine: "The Reid-Morine combination is not the Tory party. It has not the support of the merchants, the middle-classes or the stalwart fishermen who have been the mainstay of the Tory party in the past. ... If you elect Morine, it means government from Reid's office, if you vote for Bond it means governing yourselves" (Dec. 11, 1912).

    When Edward Morris resigned from Bond's cabinet, P. T. McGrath, who was editor at the time, resigned his post and started the Evening Chronicle to support Morris and his newly-formed party. The Herald continued as a Liberal paper until December of 1912 when McGrath purchased the paper and converted it to an organ of the governing Morris party. McGrath, who shortly afterward closed down the Evening Chronicle gloated: "Not alone are the Bond party very much depressed over the loss of the Herald as a political agency, but they have no confidence in the ability of the Telegram."

    Like other established papers of the time, the Herald was alarmed by the rising political movement led by W. F. Coaker and opposed his paper, the Evening Advocate. The Herald blatantly campaigned against Coaker and Squires in the fall election of 1919, printing large headlines denouncing Coaker and providing instructions on "How to mark your ballot." The Liberals won the election and the Herald ceased publication in the following year when McGrath retired.
  • Holdings:
    • MHA 1891, [1893]-1894, 1900, 1902, [1904, 1913-1914] * Original
    • MUN 1882-[1893]-1920 Microfilm
    • PRL 1882-1920 * Original
    • PRL 1882-[1893]-1920 Microfilm

Evening Mercury see Evening Herald 

Evening Pilot

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: May 12, 1930.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday)?
  • Publisher: Evening Pilot Printing and Publishing Co. Ltd.
  • Editor: A. A. Parsons.
  • Other editions: Weekly Pilot.
  • No holdings recorded.

Evening Star

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Dec. 7, 1905
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday)?
  • Publisher: News Publishing Co.
  • General manager: H. A. Morine.
  • No holdings recorded.

Evening Telegram see Telegram 

Evening Telegram Weekly Extra

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:July 21, 1993.
  • Frequency: Weekly
  • Title varies: Weekly Extra
  • Publisher: Canadian Newspaper Company Ltd.
  • Description:
    The Evening Telegram Weekly Extra is distributed free in the St. John's region. It consists mainly of advertisements and reprints of columns from the Evening Telegram such as "Super Handyman", Pet Perfect", "Green Thumb", and "Home Plan of the Week." It also includes occasional light news snippets.
  • Holdings:
    • PRL 1993- 

Everybody's Labour News

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: July 25, 1908.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Publisher: George Thomas Oliver.
  • No holdings recorded.

Examiner check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:July 11, 1960.
  • Last issue located: May 13, 1961.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Examiner Ltd.
  • Managing editor: Harold Horwood.
  • Description:
    The Examiner was highly critical of the Smallwood government, claiming, "Newfoundland has the worst government in Canada, maybe even the worst government in North America" (Sept. 17, 1960). Although the Examiner received initial funding from organized labour, it denied being a labour house organ. It contained provincial news and political commentary and exposed bad conditions in hospitals and logging camps in the province.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1960-1961 Microfilm
    • PRL 1960-1961 Original and microfilm


  • Place of publication: Happy Valley-Goose Bay
  • Dates of publication: Feb. 15, 1993-
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Printer: Labradorian Printers.
  • Editor: Rob Hanson.
  • Description:
    Billing itself as "Labrador's weekly journal" the Examiner features advertisements, editorials, public notices, Labrador news, a little provincial news, a column called "Chamber Chatter" and sports.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1993-
    • PRL 1993-


  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Oct. 21, 1851.
  • Last issue located: July 27, 1876.
  • Frequency:
        Three times a week, Oct. 21, 1851-July 7, 1855.

    • Semiweekly, July 11, 1855-Apr. 3, 1858.
    • Three times a week, Apr. 6, 1858-Jan. 6?, 1866.
    • Daily (except Sunday), Jan.-Dec. 8, 1866.
    • Three times a week (irregular), Dec. 11, 1866-July 27, 1876.
  • Title varies:
    • Newfoundland Express, Oct. 28, 1851-Dec. 8, 1866.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Express, Dec. 11, 1866-July 27, 1876.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Printer & publisher: John Thomas Burton, Oct. 28, 1851-Dec. 8, 1866.
  • Editor & proprietor: James Seaton.
  • Other edition: Weekly Express1858-1876?
  • Description:
    The Express published foreign and local news, legislative proceedings, shipping news, and advertisements. It eschewed light fiction in the beginning, but had a poets' corner. The paper was Conservative in editorial policy and one of two Wesleyan newspapers in St. John's. Seaton had been editor of the other paper, the Courier, for two years, but the two papers invariably took the opposite viewpoint on issues. The Express condemned the interference of Roman Catholic clergy in elections and opposed Responsible Government. The paper was critical of the Kent administration and an effusive supporter of Hoyles. 

    The Express mended fences with a former rival, the Newfoundlander during the Carter administration and supported Confederation. It joined that paper in opposition to the Bennett administration and later supported the Railway.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1851-[1863]-1864, [1866-1870]-1872, [1874-1876] Microfilm
    • PANL 1862-[1863]-1864, [1866-1870]-1872 Microfilm
    • PRL 1851-[1863]-1864, [1866-1870]-1872, [1874-1876] Original and microfilm

Express check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Feb. 15, 1941.
  • Last issue located: Apr. 12, 1941.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Express Publishing Co. Ltd.
  • Editor: Joseph R. Smallwood.
  • Description:
    The Express, "This paper is opposed to the present form of government. This paper is equally opposed to any return of the evils that grew up around the practice of Responsible Government. We want to find out just what kind of government the people want. This paper is published to be a means of giving the Newfoundland people a voice, a medium through which to discuss this subject" (Feb. 15, 1941). The Express published articles by prominent people, including Smallwood, opposing the Commission of Government and discussing the alternatives. It also had two columns devoted to interviews, "The Inquiring Reporter" and "Over the Tavern Table"
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1941 Microfilm
    • PRL 1941 Original and microfilm


  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Apr. 10, 1991-
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Title varies:
  • Publisher: Robinson-Blackmore Printing & Publishing Ltd.
  • Editor:
    • David Stewart-Patterson, Apr. 10-Aug. 7, 1991.
    • Maria Janicker, Aug. 14, 1991-May 27, 1992.
    • Alison Auld, June 3-July 1, 1992.
    • Gary Dimmock, July 8, 1992-Apr. 20, 1994.
    • Paul Bickford, Apr. 27, 1994-
  • Description:
    The Express was at issued for the first four months as a free, mid-week supplement to the Sunday Express. When theSunday Express ceased publication, the title was shortened to Express. Although intended as a replacement for theSunday Express, the editor stated: "The free-distribution Express will not be driven by the 'uncompromising, investigative style of journalism for which the Sunday Express became known" (Aug. 14, 1991). Distributed throughout the northeast Avalon Peninsula, the paper features regional and provincial news, sports, arts and entertainment, business news and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 3 months only Original
    • MUN Apr. 10-Aug. 7, 1991 Microfilm
    • PRL 1991- Original
    • PRL Apr. 10-Aug. 7, 1991 Microfilm.

Express see also

Express Extra see Express 

Family Fireside check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Jan. 1924.
  • Last issue located: Nov. 1958.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Publisher: J. S. Doyle.
  • Description:
    The Family Fireside was distributed free of charge for many years and printed provincial news, household hints, poetry, serial fiction, social news, and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1926-1929, [1931, 1935-1936, 1938-1939,1942-1943,1947-1948, 1950-1951, 1953-1957 Microfilm
    • PRL 1926-1929, [1931, 1935-1936, 1938-1939,1942-1943, 1947-1948, 1950-1951, 1953-1957 Original and microfilm

Family Post

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: May 30, 1928.
  • Editor and publisher: E. A. Smith.
  • No holdings recorded.

Farmer's Journal

  • Place of publication: St. John's?
  • Officially registered: Aug. 2, 1842.
  • Publisher: R. J. Parsons.
  • No holdings recorded.

Fire Fly

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Only issue located: July 11, 1892.
  • Proprietors: M. A. Devine and P.J. Dyer.
  • Description:
    The Aug. 1, 1899 issue of the Daily Review describes the Firefly as
    ... the first paper that occurred after the Great Fire. It was only a manuscript paper, and only one copy was issued every day. Every evening at half-past four it was hung outside the door of Mr. M.G. Lash, and very few papers published in St. John's had a larger constituency of readers. It contained (daily) a foreign message, the arrival of relief steamers, the beginning of various new structures, and, perhaps most important of all, the movements of the Relief Committee. The Firefly was an unpretentious attempt, but it filled the gap admirably, until the arrival of material for the Morning Despatch edited by Mr. H.W. LeMessurier.
  • Holdings:
    • PANL July 11, 1892 (Special items cabinet)

Fishermen-Worker's Tribune check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Feb. 11, 1938.
  • Last issue located: Dec. 23, 1943.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Trade Printers and Publishers.
  • Editor:
    • O.L. Vardy, May 1939-?(16) 
    • Michael Harrington, 1944-1946.
  • Description:
    The Fishermen-Workers Tribune replaced the Fishermen's Advocate as the official organ of the Fishermen's Protective Union of Newfoundland after the Advocate fell out of favor with F. P. U. president K. M. Brown in late 1937. The Tribunesupported a large number of political and social reforms, including a separate Department of Fisheries, a bonus on codfish, a Fair-Wages Board, reduced taxes, improved medical care and education in the outports, a reduction in the age limit for Old Age Pensions, and a change in the method of "dole distribution." (Dec. 18, 1942). It carried labour and fishing news as well as domestic and foreign news and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1940, June 1942-1943 Microfilm
    • PRL [1938], 1940, June 1942-1943 Original and microfilm

Fishermen's Advocate

  • Place of publication: St. John's, Port Union, Coakerville 
  • Dates of publication: Feb. 12, 1910-May 22, 1980.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Location:
    • Coakerville, Feb. 12-Mar. 19, 1910.
    • St. John's, Mar. 26, 1910-Aug. 30, 1924.
    • Port Union, Sept. 5, 1924-May 22, 1980.
  • Title varies:
    • Fishermen's Advocate, Feb. 12, 1910-Apr. 25, 1914.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Mail and Advocate (Weekly edition), May 2, 1914-Dec. 30, 1916.  
      (check MUN Holdings)
    • Weekly Advocate, Jan. 7?, 1916-Aug. 30, 1924.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Fishermen's Advocate, Sept. 5, 1924-May 22, 1980.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Printer: Sun Printing Co., Feb. 12-Mar. 18, 1910.
  • Publisher:
    • Barnes & Co., Mar. 26-June 24, 1910.
    • Union Publishing Co., Aug. 12, 1910-Aug. 30, 1924.
    • Fishermen's Advocate Publishing Co., Sept. 5, 1924- May 22, 1980.
  • Editor: W. F. Coaker, Feb. 12, 1910-1913?
  • Other editions:
  • Description:
    The Fishermen's Advocate was the official organ of W. F. Coaker's Fishermen's Protective Union and, between 1910 and 1924, acknowledged to be one of the most influential papers in Newfoundland, especially in the outports. "One of the first Newfoundland newspapers to adopt the 'modern' format of page one headlines and illustrations"(17), the Advocatefeatured local outport news, domestic and foreign news, legislative proceedings and advertisements. It also carried the proceedings of F. P. U. meetings and practical marketing advice for fishermen. The paper carried a question and answer column which answered questions varying from ones of a strictly practical nature to ones of a political nature, "many of which had the air of being planted by Coaker."(18) The Advocate was the only paper which was not dependent on government advertising and was severely critical of both the Liberal and People's Parties. In 1917, however, Coaker joined his Union Party with Morris' wartime National Government and the Advocate became a supporter of their policies. 

    From 1914 to 1924, the Advocate was published in both daily and weekly editions, and for a short time in 1917, had three editions, evening, morning, and weekly. In 1924, the Advocate reverted to a weekly and moved to Port Union to escape the "wheels within wheels operating in St. John's [which are] powerful enough to coat almost any crime with sugar" (Sept. 5, 1924). Although it declared political independence at that time, it took an anti-Tory line, opposed Monroe, Alderdice and the Commission of Government. 

    In December of 1937, the Advocate disagreed with F.P.U. president K.M. Brown over the Gander Deal and the Fishermen-Workers Tribune was established in St. John's to replace the Advocate as the official F. P. U. organ. A further blow was dealt to the paper a few months later with the death of W. F. Coaker and, by the end of the War, the Advocatehad become a typical community newspaper for the Port Union area. The Advocate took a neutral stand on Confederation in 1948. In 1970, it published a lengthy series of articles on the history of the F. P. U. By 1980, theAdvocate had declined to a nearly illegible, pasted together affair consisting mostly of filler material, finally ceasing without fanfare on May 22.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1968-1975 * Original
    • MUN [1910-1914]-1916, [1921], 1924-1980 Microfilm(19)
    • PRL [1910-1914]-1916, [1921], 1924-1980 Microfilm 
    • PRL [1912]-1913, [1936, 1938, 1943], 1951, [1954-1955]-[1963-1964]-1980 Original

Foghorn check MUN Holdings

  • Argentia
  • Earliest issue located: May 16, 1958 (v. 1, no. 3)
  • Last issue located: Mar. 14, 1969.
  • Frequency:
    • Biweekly, 1958 (?)
    • Weekly, 1959(?)-Mar. 14, 1969
  • Publisher: U. S. Naval Station.
  • Editor:
    • H. Grais, July 22, 1960.
    • C. Tetzlaff, Sept. 9, 1960.
    • Joan Zeigler, Oct. 7-Nov. 28, 1960.
    • M. L. Kaus, Dec. 23, 1960-Oct. 23, 1964.
    • M. D. Nierad, Dec. 4, 1964.
    • R. W. Cook, Apr. 9-June 11, 1965.
    • Richard M. Beswick, Nov. 3, 1967-Jan. 9, 1968.
    • Jan B. Ujarosy, Mar. 22, 1968.
    • W. P. Fabry, Jan. 24-Mar. 14, 1969.
  • Description:
    The Foghorn was the unofficial publication of the U. S. Naval Station at Argentia and carried news of the Air Force Base as well as articles from the Armed Forces Press Service.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1964, 1966-1967]
    • PRL [1958-1969] (JNM 9)

Foghorn check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Harbour Breton.
  • Began publication: Jan. 31, 1975.
  • Last issue located: May 1, 1978.
  • Ceased publication: 1978.
  • Publisher: Southcoast Newspaper Project.
  • Editor: Dave Jensen, 1978.
  • Description:
    The Foghorn was published by a non-profit community owned company for communities on the South Coast. Partly funded by a LIP grant, it relied heavily on volunteers and material supplied by readers. Notably lacking in the usual filler material found in most small-town papers, it published the local, personal and social news, placing a great deal of emphasis on fishing news, and provided individuals and local organizations with information on how to take advantage of government programs. It had a very lively letters column and outspoken, signed guest editorials. A 1976 article by the Fishermen's Committee attacking the local fish processing company for unkept promises resulted in efforts by the company to silence the paper. A request that year for an ARDA III program grant to purchase a printing press was approved and then inexplicably vetoed by the Minister of Rural Development. The paper folded sometime in 1978 and was replaced by the Coaster, which was issued by unrelated concerns.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1975-1978 Microfilm
    • PRL 1975-1978 Original and microfilm

Fogo Island Profile check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Fogo
  • Began publication: June 17, 1969.
  • Last issue located: Dec. 1971.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Editor and publisher: Rev. Ivan F. Jesperson.
  • Description:
    The Fogo Island Profile carried local news, social, personal and fishing news, transportation information, articles on local history, and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1969] Original
    • MUN 1969-1971 Microfilm
    • PRL 1969-1971 Original and microfilm

Fogo Islander check MUN Holdings 

  • Place of publication: Joe Batt's Arm
  • Began publication: May 1972.
  • Last issue located: June 1973.
  • Frequency: Irregular?
  • Publisher: Fogo Island Improvement Committee.
  • Editor: Patrick Mooney.
  • Description:
    The Fogo Islander was established to improve relations between the Fogo Island Improvement Committee and the people in the communities on Fogo Island. It contained mainly local and club news.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1972-1973 Microfilm
    • PRL 1972-1973 Original and microfilm

Free Lance 

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: July 23, 1881.
  • Publisher: T. F. Nangle
  • No holdings recorded.

Free Lance

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: 1922(20) - ?
  • Publisher: Trade Printers and Publishers.
  • Editor: H. M. Mosdell.
  • No holdings recorded.

Free Press 

  • Place of publication: Corner Brook
  • Only issue published: Aug. 17, 1955.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: J. B. Roe and Co.
  • Editor: James Browning Roe.
  • Description:
    The single known issue of the Free Press carried local and provincial news, sports, social and personal news and advertising.
  • Holdings:
    • PRL Aug. 17, 1955 (JNM 20)

Free Press(1877) see St. John's Free Press and Semiweekly Advertiser 

Free Press check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: 1901?-Aug. 20, 1935.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher:
    • Robinson & Currie, 1904-1905.
    • Robinson & Co., 1906-1935.
  • Editor:
    • John Alex. Robinson, 1901-1917.
    • John S. Currie, 1917- ?
  • Description:
    The Free Press, which had the motto, "Newfoundland's Home Paper" included local, domestic and foreign news, shipping news, a family section and advertisements. The Free Press supported Whiteway in 1904 and 1905. In 1906, Robinson purchased the Daily News and the Free Press replaced the Weekly News as its weekly edition. After that time, it contained items reprinted from the Daily News and had a similar editorial policy. The Free Press was absorbed by the Observer's Weekly in 1935.
  • Holdings:
    • MHA 1904-1905, 1907-1909, 1911-1914, 1916-1918, 1921-1922 Original
    • MUN 1904-1905, [1907-1908]-[1910]-1914,1916-1917, 1921-1922, [1929] Microfilm
    • PRL [1907, 1910] Original
    • PRL 1904-1905, [1907-1908]-[1910]-1914,1916-1917, 1921-1922 Microfilm

Free Press check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Apr. 28, 1971-May 4, 1972.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Free Press Publishing Co.
  • Editor: Edsel J. Bonnell.
  • Other editions: Daily News
  • Description:
    The Free Press was a mass circulation weekly which carried provincial news, local news, social and club news, editorials, and advertisements. The editorials and articles were heavily Liberal-leaning during the election campaign of 1972. Issued by the publisher of the Daily News and distributed free of charge, the Free Press was discontinued because it "served to divert attention from the primary newspaper it was designed to compliment" (May 4, 1972).
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1971-1972 Microfilm
    • PRL 1971-1972 Microfilm