Historical Directory of Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers S-W

Saturday Night

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Feb. 17, 1922.
  • Earliest issue located:Mar. 24, 1923 (v. 2, no. 12)
  • Last issue located: May 3, 1923
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Thomas J. Foran and Edward A. Smith.
  • Description:
    Saturday Night claimed to be "A free and fearless paper with the cream of the news." It appears to have been a campaign organ of J. R. Bennett. Its contents were devoted to national politics and opposed Squires, Coaker and the Daily Mail.
  • Holdings:
    • PRL [1923]


  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Jan. 31, 1925.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Proprietor: Thomas J. Foran.
  • No holdings recorded.

Semi-Weekly Chronicle check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Mar. 8, 1870.
  • Last issue located: Feb. 26, 1875.
  • Frequency: Semiweekly.
  • Publisher:
    • Richard R. Wills, Mar. 8, 1870.
    • Francis Winton, Mar. 11, 1870-Feb. 26, 1875.
  • Other editions: Morning Chronicle
  • Description:
    "Designed especially for the Outports", the Semi-weekly Chronicle had the same content and editorial policy as theMorning Chronicle.
  • Holdings:
    • MHA Feb.-Aug. 1872 Original
    • MUN [1870-1873, 1875] Microfilm
    • PRL [1870] Original (Shelved as Chronicle)
    • PRL [1870, 1872] Microfilm

Sentinel see

Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser

  • Place of publication: Carbonear.
  • Dates of publication: Oct. 27, 1836-Oct. 30, 1845.
  • Frequency: Weekly (irregular).
  • Title varies:
    • Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser, Oct. 27, 1836-July 20, 1837.
      (check MUN Holdings)
    • Carbonear Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser, July 27, 1837-Nov. 29, 1838.
      (check MUN Holdings)
    • Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser, Dec. 13, 1838-Nov. 19, 1844.
      (check MUN Holdings)
    • Sentinel, Mar. 13-Oct. 30, 1845.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Editor and publisher: Thomas Westlake Spry.
  • Description:
    The Sentinel published domestic and foreign news, shipping news, legislative proceedings, poetry, serial fiction and letters to the editor. The prospectus promised the paper would promote the interests of the mercantile community and maintain a commercial point of view, but the Sentinel was politically independent in most matters and moderately Liberal in outlook. It supported the temperance movement and published news of all religious denominations. In 1840, the paper caused a minor stir by endorsing James Douglas over Lawrence O'Brien in a controversial St. John's election. Spry closed the Sentinel down in October 1845 and started the Mercury and General Advertiser three months later.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1836-[1837-1840, 1843-1845] Microfilm
    • PRL 1839-1840, 1843-1845 * Original
    • PRL 1836-[1837-1840, 1843-1845] Microfilm

Shoreline check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Long Pond.
  • Dates of publication: May 9, 1989-
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher and editor: Frank Petten, May-Sept. 19, 1989.
  • Publisher: Frank Petten, Sept. 26, 1989-
  • Publishing Company Codner Holdings Ltd.
  • Editor: Brian Madore, Sept. 26, 1989-
  • Description:
    The Shoreline was established because "there is a need for a paper that will cover local news that is considered to be unimportant by the larger news gathering organization." (May 9, 1989). It publishes letters to the editor, local and provincial news, sports, social news and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1989-
    • PRL 1989-

Signal check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Sept. 21-Nov. 2, 1979.
  • Publisher: St. John's Allied Printers' Union, Local 441.
    Printer: Robinson-Blackmore Printing & Publishing Ltd.
  • Description:
    The Signal was published by locked out and striking Evening Telegram employees during the Evening Telegram strike of 1979 . Besides publishing strike and labour news, it offered rich local news coverage, sports, advertisements and columns by the strikers and their supporters.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1979 Original and microfilm.
    • PRL 1979 Original and microfilm

Skipper check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Foxtrap.
  • Dates of publication: Apr. 15, 1985-Mar. 12, 1986.
  • Frequency: Biweekly.
  • Publisher: Skipper Publications.
  • Editor:
    • Alan J. De Gonzague, Apr. 15, 1985-Jan. 8, 1986.
    • A. Stephen Lewis, Jan. 22-Mar. 12, 1986.
  • Description:
    The Skipper published news of Paradise, Bell Island, Mount Pearl and Conception Bay. Features carried included club news, town council reports, school news, local sports, church schedules, advice on parenting, and a crime report. Editorials treated the usual local issues such as road conditions, litter, abandoned vehicles, snow removal and the importance of voting.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1985-1986 Microfilm.
    • PRL 1985-1986 Original and microfilm.

Southern Gazette check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication:
    • Salt Pond, May 29, 1975-Sept. 21, 1977.
    • Marystown, Sept. 28, 1977-
  • Dates of publication: May 29, 1975-
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd.
  • Editor:
    • Tina Fagan, May 29, 1975-Sept. 21, 1977.
    • John Furlong, Sept. 28, 1977-Aug. 16, 1978.
    • Ray Penton, Jr., Aug. 23, 1978-Apr. 4, 1979.
    • Ben Brake, May 14, 1980-Sept. 30, 1981.
    • George Macvicar, Oct. 7, 1981-
  • Description:
    The Southern Gazette publishes news of the Burin Peninsula, regional sports, social, club and church news, advertisements, and commentary on local, provincial and national issues. Each issue usually includes original editorials and reprints of editorials from other newspapers in the Robinson-Blackmore chain.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 3 months only
    • PRL [1975]- *

Southern Post check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Goulds.
  • Began publication: Oct. 9-12, 1996-
  • Frequency: Biweekly.
  • Publisher & editor: Craig Westcott.
  • Description:
    The first issues of the Southern Post , "The Voice of Kilbride, Goulds and the Southern Shore" included news of that region, an advice column, local sports and editorials. The contents of the first issues indicated a possible Tory bias, having included an editorial which severely criticised Premier Brian Tobin, excerpts of an uncomplimentary article from the satirical magazine Frank on Liberal MP Jean Payne, and congratulatory messages from Progressive-Conservative politicians. The publisher and editor formerly worked at the Sunday Express and the Evening Telegram.

  • Holdings:
  • MUN 3 months only.
  • PRL Oct. 1996-

Southern Shore Courier check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Goulds.
  • Dates of publication: May 19, 1960-June 10, 1960.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Printer and publisher: John P. Harvey & Son.
  • Editor: Herbert Cranford.
  • Description:
    The Southern Shore Courier was intended to "to serve primarily a rural section of Newfoundland, the Southern Shore, which, it is understood, has not been undertaken hithertofore" (May 19, 1960). Published on newsprint in a tabloid format, it carried original regional news stories, personal and club news, songs, poetry, sports, stories, a "sportsman's corner", a women's column and advertisements.

    According to a note in the microfilm copy of this paper: "Only 3 issues of this newspaper ever appeared. The publisher, John P. Harvey & Son, paid the editor, Herbert Cranford, to prepare the copy for each issue, which would then be printed and distributed along the Southern Shore. For each issue Mr. Cranford received $50.00."
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1960 Microfilm
    • PRL 1960 Microfilm and original

Southern Shore and St. Mary's Bay Weekly & TV Guide check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Sept. 14, 1968 (v. 1, no. 3).
  • Latest issue located: Oct. 26, 1968.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Title varies:
    • Southern Shore Weekly, Sept. 14, 1968.
    • Southern Shore & St. Mary's Bay Weekly and TV Guide, Oct. 5-26, 1968.
  • No editor or publisher listed.
  • Description:
    The Southern Shore Weekly published community and personal news, a lot of church and religious news , television listings, recipes, and selected provincial news, usually involving crime and accidental deaths. The unknown editor expressed the frustrations of producing a paper of this sort: "The Southern Shore Weekly would like to thank the person who sent us the letter from fur her up the shore advising us not to publish the paper again as it is an insult to the Southern Shore. We would gladly return the price of the paper to them if they were kind enough to send us there name. or maybe that person would like the job of printing the paper , or becoming a news correspondence in their community or better still the job of proof reading." (Sept. 14, 1968)
  • Holdings:
    • PRL Sept. 14, Oct. 5-26, 1968

Sou'west Times check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Burgeo.
  • Dates of publication: June 18, 1996-
  • Frequency: Biweekly.
  • Publisher: Linda Benoit.
  • Description:
    The Sou'west Times is a tidy tabloid featuring news of the southwest coast, local description and history, personal and social news, a "literary corner" and a few advertisements, mostly of a public service nature.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 3 months only.
    • PRL 1996-

Speaker see Avalon Guardian


  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Sept. 6, 1915.
  • Earliest issue located:Sept. 18, 1915 (v. 1, no. 2)
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 18, 1915 (v. 1, no. 12)
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Spectator Publishing Co.
  • Manager: H. T. Wiseman.
  • Description:
    The Spectator devoted much space to the temperance cause in its first issues. It also included war news, letters to the editor, market reports, filler material and advertisements. The paper accused the government of controlling the press and claimed itself to be free of party or corporate control
  • Holdings:
    • PRL [1915]

Springdale News check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Springdale
  • Dates of publication: Apr. 1, 1965-May 28, 1970.
  • Frequency: Biweekly.
  • Printer: Blackmore Printing Co.
  • Publisher: Roger C. Simmons, Jan. 15-May 28, 1970.
  • Editor:
    • Eileen Williamson, Apr. 4, 1968-Mar. 27, 1969.
    • Florence Tode, Jan. 15-May 28, 1970.
  • Description:
    The Springdale News was a community newspaper for the northwestern region of the province. It suspended publication in 1970 and was replaced by the Green Bay News (later called the Nor'wester) in December 1971.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1965-1970 Microfilm and original.
    • PRL 1965-1970 Microfilm and original.


  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: July 3, 1886.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Michael J. O'Mara.
  • No holdings recorded.

St. John's Advertiser see Terra Nova Advocate

St. John's Daily News

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Aug. 27, 1860.
  • Last issue located: July 21, 1870.
  • Suspended publication: Aug. 28-Nov. 11, 1867.
  • Frequency:
    • Daily (except Sunday), Aug. 27, 1860-Jan. 1867.
    • 3 per week, Feb. 1867-July 21, 1870.
  • Title varies:
    • St. John's Daily News and Newfoundland Journal of Commerce, Aug. 27, 1860-Nov. 9, 1864.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • St. John's Daily News, Nov. 16, 1864-July 21, 1870.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Publisher:
    • Robert Winton, Aug. 27, 1860-Oct. 24, 1860.
    • Robert and Francis Winton, Oct. 25, 1860-Apr. 19, 1861.
    • Robert Winton, Apr. 20, 1861-July 21, 1870.
  • Description:
    The St. John's Daily News carried foreign and domestic news, advertisements, and legislative proceedings. Strongly Conservative, the Daily News was a supporter of the rights of the Protestant population. Co-publisher Francis Winton left the paper over growing political differences with his brother Robert and founded a rival paper, the Day-Book. The Daily News supported Hoyles and the Reform Party and opposed Parsons, Kent and Responsible Government. The paper supported the Carter-Shea Administration and was strongly in favour of Confederation. It opposed Charles Fox Bennett's anti-Confederates who defeated Carter in 1869. The main opponents of the News were, at first, the Newfoundlander, Patriot, Express, and Day-Book, and its successor, the Morning Chronicle and, later, the Courier. The St. John's Daily News was suspended for two years and reemerged in 1872 as the St. John's News, later known as the North Star.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1860-[1863-1870] Microfilm
    • PANL 1862-[1863-1870] Microfilm
    • PRL 1860-[1863-1870] Original and microfilm

St. John's Daily News and Newfoundland Journal of Commerce see St. John's Daily News

St. John's Daily Post see Morning Post

St. John's Daily Star check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Apr. 17, 1915-July 23, 1921.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Publisher: St. John's Daily Star Publishing Co. Ltd.
  • Editor: H. M. Mosdell.
  • Other editions:
    • St. John's Daily Post, July 21-22, 1919.
    • Morning Post, July 23-Dec. 31, 1919.
  • Description:
    The Daily Star contained domestic and foreign news, sports, poetry, fiction, advertisements and other typical features. It was started by H. M. Mosdell and R. Dowden, both of whom were formerly connected with the Fishermen's Advocate. TheAdvocate claimed it was funded by a few Water Street merchants "in the hope of using it as an anti-Confederate paper in the event of the matter becoming a live issue"(50). The sole purpose of the Daily Star for the first few years appeared to be to assail W. F. Coaker and the Fishermen's Advocate. The Advocate retaliated by publishing a column called "Mosdell's Boomerangs" which quoted Mosdell's earlier statements of praise for the man and his cause. The Star supported the Squires government and stopped attacking Coaker in about 1919, lashing out instead at A. B. Morine and C. J. Fox.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1915]-1921 Microfilm
    • PRL [1915]-1921 Original and microfilm

St. John's Evening Reporter

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Oct. 10, 1900.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Publisher: John S. Currie and H. Y. Mott.
  • No holdings recorded.

St. John's Free Press and Daily Advertiser see St. John's Free Press and Semiweekly Advertiser

St. John's Free Press and Semiweekly Advertiser

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Apr. 9, 1877.
  • Latest issue located: July 22, 1878.
  • Frequency:
    • Daily (except Sunday), Apr. 9-May 29, 1877.
    • Semiweekly, June 11, 1877-May 20, 1878.
    • Weekly, May 27-July 22, 1878.
  • Title varies:
    • St. John's Free Press and Daily Advertiser, Apr. 9, 1877-May 29, 1877.  
      (check MUN Holdings)
    • St. John's Free Press and Semi-weekly Advertiser, June 11-July 22, 1878.
      (check MUN Holdings)
  • Publisher: Free Press.
  • Editor: John A. Rochfort.
  • Description:
    The St. John's Free Press contained domestic and foreign news, shipping news, court proceedings, public notices, poetry and advertisements. The editorials encouraged the development of the colony's natural resources, supported the railway, and opposed Confederation.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1877-1878 * Original and microfilm
    • PRL 1877-1878 * Original and microfilm

St. John's News see North Star and St. John's, Newfoundland, News

St. John's Sunday Herald see Newfoundland Herald

Standard and Conception-Bay Advertiser see Harbor Grace Standard 

Star see Western Star

Star and Conception Bay Journal check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication:
    • Carbonear, Jan. 2, 1833-June 22, 1836.
    • Harbour Grace, June 29, 1836-Oct. 7, 1840.
  • Dates of publication: Jan. 2, 1833-Oct. 7, 1840.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Title varies: Carbonear Star and Conception-Bay Journal, 1833.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Printer and publisher: D. E. Gilmour, Jan. 2, 1833-June 25, 1834.
  • Editor and publisher: John Thomas Burton, July 2, 1834-Oct. 7, 1840.
  • Description:
    The Star and Conception Bay Journal published local, domestic and foreign news, legislative and court proceedings, shipping and fishing news, public notices, advertisements, poetry, correspondence and editorials. The Star was Protestant and Conservative in policy, siding with the merchant class and opposing the Liberal Party. Burton moved to St. John's in 1840 and started the Star and Newfoundland Advocate.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1833-1834, 1838-1840] Microfilm
    • PANL [1833-1840] Microfilm (negative)
    • PRL [1833-1834, 1838-1840] Microfilm and original

Star and Conception Bay Semi-weekly Advertiser check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Harbour Grace
  • Earliest issue located: June 7, 1872 (v. 1, no. 7).
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 24, 1873.
  • Frequency: Semiweekly.
  • Printer, publisher, and proprietor: A. A. Parsons and W. R. Squarey.
  • Description:
    The Star and Conception Bay Semi-weekly Advertiser published domestic and foreign news, legislative and court proceedings, poetry, serial fiction, advertisements and other features. The paper did not contain much editorial commentary although co-publisher A. A. Parsons unsuccessfully contested the 1873 election as an anti-Confederate candidate and supporter of C. F. Bennett.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1872-1873] Microfilm
    • PANL [1872-1873] Microfilm (negative)
    • PRL [1872-1873] Original and microfilm

Star and Conception Bay Weekly Reporter check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Harbour Grace
  • Earliest issue located:Feb. 4, 1874 (v. 2, no. 2).
  • Latest issue located: May 6, 1875.
  • Frequency: Weekly (irregular).
  • Printer, proprietor, and publisher: William R. Squarey.
  • Description:
    The Star and Conception Bay Weekly Reporter seems to be the successor to the Star and Conception Bay Semi-weekly Advertiser although A. A. Parsons was no longer involved in it. It had the same content as the earlier publication and was somewhat more outspoken politically, opposing the Carter administration and the railway.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1874-1875] Microfilm
    • PANL [1874-1875] Microfilm (negative)
    • PRL [1874-1875] Original and microfilm

Star and Newfoundland Advocate check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Nov. 14, 1840 (v. 1, no. 2).
  • Latest issue located: Jan. 14, 1847.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Printer and publisher: John Thomas Burton.
  • Description:
    The Star and Newfoundland Advocate printed foreign and local news, legislative proceedings, agricultural, fishing and shipping news, poetry, fiction and advertisements. The paper was Conservative and Protestant editorially and supported the mercantile class. Burton was previously involved in the Star and Conception Bay Journal and was later to become more political as proprietor of the Telegraph and Political Review.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1840-1847] Microfilm
    • PANL [1840-1843] Microfilm (negative)
    • PRL [1840-1847] Original and microfilm.

Stephenville News check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Stephenville
  • Began publication: Apr. 29, 1957.
  • Latest issue located: June 21, 1958.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher and chief editor: Temple Butler.
  • Printer: Robinson & Co.
  • Description:
    The Stephenville News published local, provincial, national and foreign news, comics, advertisements and editorials limited to supporting regional and local development.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1958] Original
    • MUN [1957-1958] Microfilm
    • PRL [1957-1958] Original and microfilm.

Stephenville Reporter see Reporter

Stephenville Times(51)

  • Place of publication: Stephenville
  • Dates of publication: 1946?-1950?
  • Editor: Temple Butler.
  • No holdings recorded.

Suburban Mirror check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Nov. 2, 1977.
  • Last issue located: June 1, 1978.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd.
  • Editor-in-chief: Fred Whiteway.
  • Managing editor: Ron Pumphrey.
  • Description:
    The Suburban Mirror published news from communities on the Avalon Peninsula focusing on those outside of St. John's. It also contained entertainment, social commentary, business news, sports, television listings and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1977-1978 Microfilm
    • PRL 1977-1978 Original and microfilm

Sun see Twillingate Sun

Sunday Express 

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Oct. 1912.
  • Frequency: Weekly?
  • Editor: William Dooley.
  • Description:
    Although no copy of the Sunday Express has been located, mention was made of it in the Fishermen's Advocate:(52)
    Last Sunday St. John's and Newfoundland were shocked by the appearance upon the street of boys selling a paper called the Sunday Express. This sheet is printed at the Plaindealer office and edited by one Dooley of Western Star fame ... Every pulpit in the Colony should resent the outrage and call upon the people to defend their Sabbath from such intrusion ... Men turned white with anger as they beheld boys parading the streets offering the paper for sale as the people proceeded to Church. Newfoundland is not America and this Dooley will realize before many weeks.
  • No holdings recorded.

Sunday Express check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Sept. 28, 1986-Aug. 11, 1991.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publishing Company Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd.
  • Editor and publisher:
    • Michael Harris, Sept. 28, 1986-Apr. 12, 1990.
    • David Stewart-Patterson, June 10, 1990-Aug. 11, 1991.
  • Description:
    The Sunday Express published local, provincial and national news, sports, history, entertainment, social and political commentary, advertisements and other features. Started on a weekly basis to test the market for a possible competitor to St. John's only daily, the Evening Telegram, the Express won national recognition as "the best little newspaper in Canada." (53) The Express broke the Mount Cashel story and later lost their government advertising because of their negative coverage of a provincially-funded greenhouse venture. The paper folded due to decreased advertising revenue during the economic recession.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1986-1991 Microfilm.
    • PRL 1986-1991 Original and microfilm.

Sunday Herald see Newfoundland Herald


  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Apr. 3, 1879-
  • Frequency:
    • Daily (except Sunday), Apr. 3, 1879-Aug. 16, 1958.
    • Daily (except Saturday & Sunday), Aug. 18, 1958-Sept. 4, 1971.
    • Daily (except Sunday), Sept. 11, 1971-Apr. 29, 1989.
    • Daily, Apr. 30, 1989-
  • Title varies:
    • Evening Telegram, Apr. 3, 1879-May 3, 1881.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Telegram, May 4-Dec. 28, 1881.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Evening Telegram, Jan. 4, 1882-Sept. 10, 1998.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Telegram, Sept. 11, 1998-  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Publisher:
    • William James Herder, 1879-1922.
    • W. H. Herder, 1922-1934.
    • Ralph B. Herder, 1934-1955.
    • J. M. Herder, 1955-1967.
    • H. C. Herder, 1967-1976.
    • Stephen J. Herder, 1976-Apr. 26, 1991.
    • Robert A. McKenzie, Apr. 27, 1991-Apr. 30, 1994.
    • Miller Ayre, May 1994-
  • Publishing company:
    • Thomson Newspapers, 1970-Oct. 24, 1996.
    • Southam Inc., Oct. 25, 1996-
  • Editor:
    • A. A. Parsons, 1882-1904.
    • W. F. Lloyd, 1904-1916.
    • H. A. Winter, 1916-1917.
    • C. T. James, 1917-1923.
    • J. R. Smallwood, 1923.
    • C. E. A. Jeffery, 1923-1959.
    • Michael F. Harrington, 1959-1982.
    • Sean Finlay, 1982-June 12, 1987.
  • Managing editor:
    • W. R. Callahan, Aug. 18, 1987-Apr. 12, 1992.
    • James Palmeteer, Apr. 13, 1992-July 31, 1993.
    • Joseph Walsh, Aug. 1, 1993-
  • Description:
    Although the Evening Telegram was not the country's first daily newspaper, it was by far the most successful. The end of the 19th century saw the last of the Newfoundland newspapers which had started between 1827 and 1833 -- the Newfoundlander, the Public Ledger, the Patriot, and the Times -- each cease publication after over fifty years of existence. The Evening Telegram was the first of the the three major daily newspapers which replaced the old guard and continued into the 20th century.

    The earliest issues, with their four crowded, small, 3-columned pages, were printed on an antiquated hand press and looked it. Aimed at first at a Protestant readership, the content was typical of the time -- local news, shipping and fisheries news, an eccentric selection of foreign news bits, poetry and, invariably, serial fiction. About half of the space was devoted to advertisements. Within a year and a half, the paper was doing well enough to purchase two new presses, each larger than the previous, and to move to larger quarters.

    Prior to Confederation, long term consistency in editorial policy was not the Telegram's strong point. Despite later claims that "its outspoken utterances on behalf of the masses awakened new ideas in the rising generation, and gave birth to a wholesome democratic spirit that broke down the barriers of the old regime of dry-rot Conservatism of a purse-proud oligarchy" (July 7, 1906), the Telegram was initially a Conservative paper, opposing "the 'Boss' of the Confederation Ring,Sir William Whiteway and his 'Amen Corner', the Hon. Ambrose Shea" (Oct. 17, 1882). The rival papers were the Harbor Grace Standard, "Mr. Whiteway's echo over the Bay" (Sept. 30, 1885), and the "Whiteway organ", the Evening Mercury. Particularly galling was the amount of patronage alloted to that paper: "Sir Whiteway has opted in this instance to pay theMercury people, for Government printing, prices equal to the highest given to Mr. Robert Winton during the gentleman's palmiest Journalistic days" (Aug. 15, 1885).

    The early editorials were so bitter that the Halifax Herald of Aug. 16, 1883 made the oft-quoted observation: "Canada has one determined enemy. He lives down at Newfoundland in the City of St. John's. He is the editor of the Telegram, that humorously ill-natured sheet, which, as we once before pointed out, has abused everything in Newfoundland that was good for the Island."

    After Whiteway retired in 1885, the Telegram increasingly opposed Thorburn, his successor, and eventually expressed "relief and exhilaration" upon hearing rumours that Whiteway would re-enter the political field (Oct. 8, 1887). The Evening Mercury, which had switched sides in the opposite direction, delighted in pointing out the Telegram's inconsistencies. The Telegram replied: "Our opposition to Sir William Whiteway, when we did oppose him was an honest, straightforward and manly opposition. ... Many of the measures passed during the Whiteway administration was [sic] forced on him by his allies. ... The Mercury is a vile ingrate and unworthy of the countenance of any political party" (Sept. 19, 1889).

    For the next twenty years, the Telegram supported the Liberal Party of Whiteway and, later, Bond. The Daily News became its major rival newspaper and accused the Telegram of being the Premier's personal organ (Oct. 17, 1907). Flourishing under government patronage, in 1906, the Telegram purchased the first 12 page printing press in the country, the Daily News having purchased the first 8 page press a short time previously. The new press more than doubled the size of the paper and changed the appearance dramatically, most notably producing much bigger and better advertisements. In 1913, the Telegram claimed a readership of 40,000.

    The paper had originally opposed the railway, but in 1889, supported railway extension. Although the Telegramapplauded the Bond-Coaker coalition, in 1918, it once again switched sides, joining the Daily News and Evening Heraldin supporting Cashin, Warren, Monroe, Alderdice and the Conservative Party. Later editorials has a much more responsible and reasonable tone than they had in earlier years and dealt with broader concerns, such as the Depression, the buildup to World War II, the war itself and the Cold War. The paper supported the Commission of Government and avoided taking sides on the question of Confederation in 1948.

    The Evening Telegram published material that was critical of the Smallwood administration in the 1950's and 1960's. Although the editorials, even if sceptical, maintained a respectful tone, some of the columnists, such as Harold Horwood and Ray Guy, were less circumspect. The government countered with a series of libel suits and prosecution for breach of privilege. When the government threatened to withdraw government advertising, the Telegram refused to accept their advertisements anymore. 

    After the Telegram was sold to the Thomson newspaper chain in 1970, critics felt it declined in appearance and content, in political outspokeness(14) and in coverage of the province outside of St. John's.(15) When the Daily News folded in 1984, the Telegram became the only daily paper in St. John's. An index to recent years of the Evening Telegram is available in the Provincial Reference and Resource Library.
  • Holdings:
    • GRCOL 1910-1919 Microfilm
    • MHA [1900-1901, 1906, 1914, 1920] Original
    • MUN Original kept until microfilm received.
    • MUN [1879-1886]- Microfilm
      PANL [1879-1886]-1978 Microfilm
    • PRL [1879-1886]- Original and microfilm

Telegraph see Telegraph and Political Review

Telegraph and Political Review

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Sept. 17, 1856-July 7, 1875.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Title varies:
    • Telegraph, Sept. 17, 1856-Dec. 29, 1869.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Telegraph and Political Review, Jan. 5, 1870-June 19, 1872.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Telegraph, June 26-July 24, 1872.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Telegraph and Political Review, July 31, 1872-July 7, 1875.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Printer, publisher, and proprietor: John Thomas Burton.
  • Description:
    In its early years, the Telegraph and Political Review was a strong supporter of native rights. The paper opposed the Kent administration and supported Hoyles. Always vigilant that the Protestants, and particularly the Church of England Protestants, received their fair share of seats in the legislature and percentage of the political patronage, it also opposed the possibility that the Hoyles administration would admit Catholics to the government. Telegraph publisher Burton was elected to the House of Assembly in 1865 and 1873 as a Carter supporter. The Telegraph strongly supported Confederation and was virulently anti-Bennett. In 1875, the Telegraph became critical of several members of Carter's cabinet and ceased publication the same year, blaming its demise on the sudden loss of government patronage.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1856-[1865]-[1869]-1875 Microfilm
    • PANL 1862-1873 Microfilm
    • PRL 1856-[1865]-[1869]-1875 Original and microfilm

Temperance Journal check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: July 8, 1868.
  • Latest issue located: Oct. 26, 1887.
  • Frequency:
    • Biweekly, 1868-1880.
    • Weekly, 1885-Oct. 26, 1887.
  • Publisher: Publishing Committee, Grand Division of the Sons of Temperance of Newfoundland.
  • Description:
    The Temperance Journal was the organ of the Sons of Temperance of Newfoundland. The editorials and a good deal of the contents were devoted to this organization's cause, offering sermons and advice on Temperance, warning of the dangers of even moderate drinking and exposing the economic and social costs of "liquor traffic." The Temperance Journal was particularly bitter at the defeat of the 1885 Permissive Bill which would have limited the licensing of liquor establishments claiming "St. John's has been delivered over to the rule of the publicans by the clergy of the Roman Catholic church" (Feb. 14, 1885). In this period, it strongly opposed "the chicken-hearted editor of the [Terra Nova] Advocate and its penny-a-liners who have been teaching that drunkenness is a virtue" (Feb. 20, 1885) The Temperance Journal also carried the usual features of newspapers of the time including local and foreign news, "domestic and useful" items, humor, poetry and serial fiction
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1878-1880, 1885-1887] Microfilm
    • MUN 1868-[1871-1872]-1880 Original
    • PRL Aug. 30, 1870, [1885-1887] Original
    • PRL [1878-1880, 1885-1887] Microfilm

Terra Nova Advocate

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:May 5, 1875 (v. 1, no. 8).
  • Last issue located: June 2, 1892.
  • Frequency:
    • 3 per week, May 5-Oct. 20, 1875.
    • Semiweekly, Oct. 23, 1875-May 21, 1881.
    • Daily (except Sunday), June 6-Sept. 29, 1881.
    • 3 per week, Oct. 4, 1881-July 5, 1884.
    • Semiweekly, July 9, 1884-July 30, 1890.
    • Weekly, Aug. 11, 1890-June 2, 1892.
  • Title varies:
    • St. John's Advertiser, May 5, 1875-Apr. 29, 1876.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Terra Nova Advocate and Political Observer, May 4, 1876-May 5, 1880.  
      (check MUN Holdings)  
    • Terra Nova Advocate, May 8, 1880-June 2, 1892.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Publisher: Joseph English.
  • Proprietor: Joseph English, May 8, 1880-June 2, 1892.
  • Editor: John A. Rochfort, June? 1880-? (54)
  • Description:
    The Terra Nova Advocate was first and foremost "an organ and vindicator, especially in matters political, of the Catholic Population" and felt that "the Roman Catholics have at no recognized organ of the press, while newspapers abound which (practically speaking) are distinctly Protestant." (May 4, 1876). Containing the usual features of papers of the day, it was politically independent during the Carter administration. It supported Whiteway at first, but in 1885 blamed him for the religiously motivated Harbour Grace Affray. The paper developed a great animosity towards the Harbor Grace Standard during this period. The Advocate opposed the Permissive Bill which would have restricted the sale of liquor in 1885 and supported the construction of the railway. The paper campaigned for Ambrose Shea's Liberals when they opposed Thorburn's Protestant Reform Party in 1885 and five years later supported Monroe against Whiteway. The Advocatesupported Confederation in 1888.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1875-1877]-[1880-1883]-[1885-1890] Microfilm
    • PRL [1875-1877]-[1880-1883]-[1885-1892] Original
    • PRL [1875-1877]-[1880-1883]-[1885-1890] Microfilm

Terra Nova Advocate and Political Observer see Terra Nova Advocate

Third City Tribune see Tribune

This Morning's News
 check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Aug. 9, 1993-
  • Frequency: Daily (except Saturday and Sunday)
  • Publisher: Terry Leonard.
  • Publishing Company Portland Publishing Inc.
  • Description:
    This Morning's News is a placemat-like single sheet which is distributed free of charge to public locations in St. John's, such as hospitals, malls and large businesses or government buildings. It features provincial news, weather, sports, stock market prices, horoscopes, trivia and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 3 months only
    • PRL 1993-

Tide check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Lewisporte
  • Earliest issue located:April 12-25, 1979.
  • Latest issue located: June 8-22, 1979.
  • Frequency: Biweekly
  • Publisher: Tide Publishing Co.
  • Managing editor: R. Archibald Bonnell.
  • Description:
    The Tide split off the Gander Tymes and the Tide to focus on the Lewisporte region. It published a series of photographic portraits of communities, stories on local landmarks, legal advice, local poetry, sports, advertisements, and editorials on subjects such as "Those Difficult Teen Years" and "Black Gold or the Newfoundland Way of Life?"
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1979] Microfilm
    • PRL [1979] Original and microfilm

Times see Conception Bay Times

Times and General Commercial Gazette
check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Aug. 29, 1832 (v. 1, no. 3).
  • Last issue located: Mar. 23, 1895.
  • Suspended publication: June 9-16, 1846; July 9-Aug. 31, 1892.
  • Frequency:
    • Weekly, Aug. 29, 1832-Dec. 25, 1844.
    • Semiweekly, Jan. 1, 1845-June 6?, 1846.
    • Weekly, Aug. 19-Oct. 17, 1846.
    • Semiweekly, Oct. 24?, 1846-Mar. 23, 1895.
  • Proprietor, publisher and editor:
    • John Williams M'Coubrey, Aug. 29, 1832-Oct. 13?, 1879.
    • John Williams M'Coubrey (Jr.), Oct. 15?, 1879-Mar. 23, 1895.
  • Editor:
    • John Williams M'Coubrey, Aug. 29, 1832-Dec. 30, 1848; July 9, 1849-Oct. 11, 1879.
    • James Seaton, Jan. 3-June 30, 1849.
  • Description:
    The Times and General Commercial Gazette printed foreign and domestic news, shipping news, public notices, legislative proceedings, the "meteorological register", correspondence, poetry, Newfoundland history and advertisements. In its early years, the Times, though in Protestant hands, was not highly sectarian. Basically Conservative and a supporter of the merchant classes, it remained comparatively neutral politically. In the 1830's, much editorial space was devoted to disagreement with the Patriot, often on trivial matters. James Seaton, formerly of the Morning Courier, was editor for a short time in 1849, but was let go because "sincere though he doubtless be in opinions to which he has given utterances ... they are not precisely our own" (July 4, 1849). The Times often expressed its opposition to poor relief and took a neutral stand on Confederation in 1869.

    In 1885, the Times became very outspoken on political matters, wholeheartedly supporting Whiteway and attacking the Reform Party and the Thorburn administration. It also became more sectarian and claimed to be "the only recognized organ of the Church of England people" (Nov. 6, 1888). After 1890, the Times again took a less political stance and apparently ceased publication in March 1895.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1832]-[1834-1836]-[1840]-[1842]-[1846]-[1850]-[1868]-[1876]-[1878]-[1881-1885]-[1888]-[1890]-1895 Microfilm
    • PANL [1832]-[1834-1836]-[1840]-[1842]-[1846-][1850]-[1868]-[1876]-[1878]-[1881-1885]-[1888]-[1890]-1895 Microfilm
    • PRL 1832-1894 * Original
    • PRL [1832]-[1834-1836]-[1840]-[1842]-[1846]-[1850]-[1868]-[1876]-[1878]-[1881-1885]-[1888]-[1890]-1895 Microfilm

Times and General Commercial Gazette check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Nov. 22, 1924.
  • Last issue located: Dec. 6, 1924.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Proprietor: G. H. Andrews.
  • Description:
    The Times and General Commercial Gazette was apparently printed using the same press as the earlier newspaper of the same title. It printed domestic news, foreign news of a sensational nature, usually involving crime and suicide, and advertisements. It claimed to be nonpartisan, nonsectarian and to favour neither labour nor capital. It seems to have ceased publication after a few weeks.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Nov. 22-Dec. 6, 1924 Microfilm.
    • PRL Nov. 22-Dec. 6, 1924. Microfilm and original


  • Place of publication: Sheshatshu.
  • Began publication: March 1998.
  • Frequency: Bimonthly.
  • Publisher: Innu Nation.
  • Editor: Camille Fouillard, Nov. 1998-
  • Description:
    Tipatshimun focuses on issues concerning the Inuit of Labrador. These include many environmental issues such as the conservation of the caribou herds and the effects of mining, low-level flying, hydroelectric projects and road building. Political issues include taxation and land claims.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1998]-


  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Feb. 5, 1879.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Charles F. Parsons.
  • No holdings recorded.

Town Crier check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Feb. 1973.
  • Last issue located: Dec. 1975.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Publisher:
    • Pumphrey Public Relations, Feb. 1973-Mar.? 1974.
    • Town Crier Ltd., Apr. 1974-Dec. 1975.
    • Editor:
    • Ron Pumphrey, Apr. 1973-Mar.? 1974.
    • John Snow, Apr.?-Sept. 1974.
    • Peter Harrington, Oct.-Dec. 1974.
    • Gerry Moore, Feb.-Aug. 1975.
  • Description:
    The Town Crier was a small news magazine which published gossip and sensational articles which focused on the bizarre, the occult and petty crime. The paper supported Premier Moores and his Progressive-Conservative party.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1973-[1975] Microfilm 
    • PRL 1973-[1975] Original and microfilm

Trade Review see Newfoundland Trade Review

Trepassey Tribune
 check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Trepassey.
  • Began publication: Oct. 1975.
  • Last issue located: May/June 1978.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Publisher: Trepassey Town Council.
  • Editor: Catherine Pennell.
  • Description:
    The Trepassey Tribune published local news, news on government assistance programs, social news, birthday greetings, and a column called "Did you know?" which featured strange and humorous facts about Trepassey.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Oct. 1975-June 1978 Microfilm
    • PRL Oct. 1975-June 1978 Original and microfilm

Tribune check MUN Holdings 

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Nov. 4, 1892.
  • Last issue located: Dec. 31, 1893.
  • Frequency:
    • Daily (except Sunday), Nov. 4, 1892-Sept. 1893.
    • Irregular, Oct.-Dec. 1893.
  • Title varies:
    • Daily Tribune, Nov. 4, 1892-Dec. 2, 1893.
    • Tribune, Dec. 7-31, 1893.
  • Continues: Newfoundland Colonist.
  • Proprietor, publisher, and editor: Patrick R. Bowers.
  • Description:
    The Tribune published domestic and foreign news, court proceedings, fishing and shipping news, serial fiction, advertisements and other features. While not outspokenly Catholic, it offered extensive coverage of Catholic news. TheTribune opposed Confederation and, although a supporter of Whiteway, was concerned about the cost of railway extension. Published during the period of rebuilding St. John's after the Great Fire, the editorials discussed this topic in detail
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1892-1893] Microfilm
    • PRL [1892-1893] Original and microfilm


  • Place of publication: Mount Pearl
  • Began publication: May 2, 1989.
  • Latest issue located: May 24, 1991.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Title varies:
    • Third City Tribune, July 5-Nov. 8, 1989.
    • Tribune, Nov. 29, 1989-May 24, 1991.
  • Publisher: Dave Sheppard, May 2-Aug. 30, 1989.
  • Publisher and managing editor: Bill Abbott, Sept. 22, 1989-May 24, 1991.
  • Publishing company: Dacabest Ltd.
  • Description:
    The Third City Tribune was published in a magazine-like format on bond paper for the first six months and then changed to a newsprint tabloid, shortening its name to Tribune. It offered a mixture of general, personal, social and sports news relating to Mount Pearl as well as editorials on local issues and advertisements. In late March 1991, a competing weekly called the Mount Pearl Post began publication and the Tribune folded two or three months later.
  • Holdings:
    • PRL 1989-[1990-1991]

Tribune Special Advertiser

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Sept. 3, 1900.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Patrick R. Bowers.
  • No holdings recorded.

Trinity Enterprise check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Trinity.
  • Earliest issue located:Mar. 29, 1909 (v. 2, no. 31).
  • Ceased publication: 1947(55).
  • Suspended publication: 1924-July 1934.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Title varies:
    • Enterprise, Mar. 29, 1909-1911 or 1912.
    • Trinity Enterprise, 1911 or 1912-1947.
  • Publisher: F. J. Brady.
  • Description:
    The early issues of the Trinity Enterprise published domestic and foreign news, "items of interest", serial fiction, letters and advertisements. In 1909, the editorials strongly opposed Morris and supported the Liberals. The single 1934 issue seen contained personal news, fishing and shipping news, humor, poetry, and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1909-1917, 1934, 1938, 1946] Microfilm
    • MUN [1941] Original
    • PRL [1909-1917, 1934, 1938, 1946] Microfilm
    • PRL [1909-1910, 1934] Original
    • THS [1909, 1911-1917, 1934-1935, 1938, 1943, 1946] Original

Trinity Record see Weekly Record

Tri-weekly Bulletin

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Apr. 4, 1861 (no. 28).
  • Last issue located: July 25, 1861 (no. 69).
  • Frequency: 3 per week.
  • Publisher and printer: John R. Parsons.
  • Description:
    The Tri-Weekly Bulletin was printed and published at the office of the Patriot, which was a weekly at the time. It reflected the editorial policy and high emotion of the Patriot, opposing the "Orange Government" and attacking the Public Ledger.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1861] (CNS Archives)


  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: May 14, 1932.
  • Editor and publisher: George H. Andrews.
  • No holdings recorded.

Twillingate Sun

  • Place of publication: Twillingate BR>
  • Dates of publication: June 24, 1880-Jan. 31, 1953. 
  • Suspended publication: Jan. 16-Feb. 15, 1947.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Title varies:
    • Twillingate Sun and Northern Weekly Advertiser, June 24, 1880-Aug. 10. 1912.
      (check MUN Holdings)
    • Twillingate Sun, Oct. 19, 1912-Jan. 31, 1953.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Editor and proprietor:
    • Jabez P. Thompson, June 24, 1880-1895.
    • George Roberts, 1895(56)-1910.
    • William B. Temple, 1910-1921.
    • Stewart Roberts, 1921-Jan. 9, 1947.
    • Ernest G. Clarke, Feb. 22, 1947-Jan. 31, 1953.
  • Description:
    The Twillingate Sun printed local and foreign news, legislative proceedings, serial fiction and advertisements. It claimed to be politically independent in 1886, but supported the Whiteway and the Liberals, especially in the fall election of 1894. In 1929, it supported Squires and in 1948 was neutral on Confederation. The Sun ceased publication due to financial reasons in 1953.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1880-1883, 1886-[1887]-[1889, 1891-1896,1899, 1903-1905, 1908-1944]-1953 Microfilm
    • PANL [1928-1930, 1934-1935, 1938, 1953] Microfilm
    • PRL 1880-1883, 1886-[1887]-[1889, 1891-1896,1899, 1903-1905, 1908-1944]-1953 Original and microfilm.

Tymes see Gander Tymes and the Tide

Village Voice
 check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: May 12, 1978.
  • Latest issue located: Jan. 13/19, 1979.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Watchman Pub. Co.
  • Printer: Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd.
  • General manager: Colin Jamieson.
  • Contributing editors: Jim Phillips, Bas Jamieson, Ron Pumphrey, Allen McKinnon.
  • Description:
    The Village Voice published local news, letters, interviews, entertainment, television and radio listings, and a personal advice column. The publication appears to have been closely connected with the Q Radio station
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1978-1979 Microfilm
    • PRL 1978-1979 Original and microfilm

Vindicator see Newfoundland Vindicator

Vindicator and Brigus Reporter check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Brigus.
  • Earliest issue located: May 4, 1898 (v. 1, no. 2).
  • Ceased publication: Oct. 28, 1903. 
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Editor, proprietor, and publisher: J. B. Thompson, 1898-1900.
  • Proprietor and business manager: H. W. Thompson, 1901-1903.
  • Description:
    The Vindicator and Brigus Reporter was founded by Jabez Thompson, who also started the Twillingate Sun, when he was appointed to the magistracy and appointed to Brigus. It published local and foreign news, public notices, advertisements, poetry, serial fiction, humor, court reports, public notices and advertisements. While not extremely political, it supported the Liberal Party and Bond. In October 1903, the printing plant was sold to H. M. Mosdell, who intended to start the Newfoundland Outlook the following month.
  • Holdings:
    • PRL [1898-1900, 1903]

Voisey's Bay News check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Voisey's Bay.
  • Dates of publication: July 1995-
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Title varies:
    • Voisey Bay News, July-Aug. 1995.
      Voisey's Bay News, Sept. 1995-
  • Editor: Cathy Jones.
  • President/publisher: Derek Hiscock.
  • Publishing company: Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd.
  • Description:
    The Voisey's Bay News is devoted mainly to news of the VoIsey's Bay mining developments and other mining and mineral exploration in Labrador. A large percentage of the articles are printed both in English and Inuktitut and deal with Innu and Inuit concerns regarding the environmental and social impact of the project, aboriginal rights and native archaeology.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 3 months only.
    • PRL 1995-

Wabana Star check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Wabana.
  • Began publication: Sept. 1961.
  • Last issue located: June 6, 1963.
  • Frequency:
    • Biweekly, Sept. 1961-Nov. 7, 1962.
    • Weekly, Nov. 14, 1962-June 6, 1963.
  • Publisher: Wabana Enterprises.
  • Editor: Ralph Ryan.
  • Description:
    The Wabana Star was founded by Ralph Ryan, who had formerly worked for Ron Pumphrey on the Bell Island Reporter and Conception Bay Times. Containing local news, advertisements and editorials, it was a typical small mimeographed newsletter with the usual crooked margins, frequent misspellings and headlines and advertisements laboriously handwritten or traced with stencils. Despite appearances, the editor pledged to maintain a high level of journalism. "We have no intention of allowing ourselves to be subjected to mud slinging or character assassination. Least of all, will we resort to the use of stupid cartoons, and poetic ignorance as a means of increasing our circulation." (Sept. 1961).
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1961] Original
    • MUN 1961-[1962-1963] Microfilm
    • PRL 1961-[1962-1963] (JNM 29) Original
    • PRL 1961-[1962-1963] Microfilm

Wabana Weekly

  • Place of publication: Wabana
  • Officially registered: July 4, 1936.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Editor and publisher: D. W. Smith.
  • No holdings recorded.

Watchdog check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Feb. 14, 1931.
  • Frequency: "Weekly or monthly or occasionally."
  • Publisher: Labour Press Ltd.
  • Editor: Joseph R. Smallwood.
  • Description:
    The Watchdog, according to J. R. Smallwood's autobiography, was begun as an attempt to silence the Watchman, which was the opposition party's organ. This was achieved by purchasing the printing equipment used by that publication with financial support from Prime Minister Richard Squires and starting a Liberal paper.(57)
  • No holdings recorded.

Watchman check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Apr. 26, 1929.
  • Only issue located: Apr. 11, 1931 (v. 3, no. 2)
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: United Press Ltd.
  • Printer: Robinson and Company Ltd.
  • Editor: Charles Jamieson.
  • Description:
    The message which appeared above the banner of the Watchman read: "Progress, prosperity and profitable employment with Alderdice not a political watch cry but a promise to be kept." The contents of the one issue of the Watchman which was located were entirely devoted to campaigning for Fred C. Alderdice and attacking the Liberals. The paper was purchased by the Liberal Party and converted to a Liberal paper called the Watchdog.
  • Holdings:
    • PRL Apr. 11, 1931

Watchman and Political Reformer check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:July 18, 1885 (v. 1, no. 2).
  • Officially registered: July 20, 1885.
  • Last issue located: Sept. 5, 1885.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: F. W. Bowden & Sons, for Watchman Printing and Publishing Co.
  • Description:
    The July 18, 1885 issue of the Watchman and Political Reformer included soft news, a serial story, anti-Whiteway articles and "Mr. Winter's reply to the Premiers Manifesto." The only advertisements were ones for firms owned by the publisher. The Sept. 5, 1885 issue included two pages of news, one page of editorials supportive of the Reform Party, and one page of letters to the editor written in a similar spirit. The Watchman is mentioned in the Evening Mercury in the four months prior to the election of October 1885. That government paper describes the Watchman as an organ of the opposing Reform Party. It seems to have been closely tied to the Loyal Orange Association as well.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN July 18, 1885.
    • PRL Sept. 5, 1885.

Water Lily check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Jan. 14, 1892.
  • Publisher: Christian Women's Temperance Union.
  • Editor: Jessie O'Mara.
  • No holdings recorded.

Weekend Evening Telegram see Telegram

Weekly Advocate see Fishermen's Advocate

Weekly Chronicle

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: 1865?-1881?
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Francis Winton.
  • Other editions:
    • Evening Chronicle.
    • Morning Chronicle.
  • Description:
    The masthead advertisements in the Morning Chronicle from 1865 to 1867 and from Jan. 12, 1875 to 1881 are the only source of information about the Weekly Chronicle.
  • No holdings recorded. 

Weekly Clarion

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: July 23, 1935.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: W. Ernest Lilly and Wm. C. Collins.
  • No holdings recorded.

Weekly Express check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Jan. 6, 1858.
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 27, 1859.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Proprietor: James Seaton.
  • Other editions:
    • Newfoundland Express, Oct. 21, 1851-Dec. 8, 1866.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Express, Dec. 11, 1866-July 27, 1876.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Description:
    The Weekly Express had the same content and editorial policy and the Newfoundland Express
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1858-[1859] Microfilm
    • PRL 1858-[1859] Original and microfilm

Weekly Extra see Evening Telegram Weekly Extra

Weekly Herald and Conception-Bay General Advertiser check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Harbour Grace.
  • Dates of publication: Nov. 2, 1842(58)-June 28, 1854.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Printer, publisher and proprietor: William Charles St. John.
  • Description:
    The Weekly Herald published local, domestic and foreign news, shipping and fisheries news, legislative proceedings, fiction, letters, and advertisements. St. John was a Wesleyan, but promised "to promote the interests of the community at large irrespective of their religious views or political differences" (June 28, 1845) and his paper remained politically independent and nonsectarian in its views. The paper deplored the conditions of poverty and starvation in the Colony and, although opposed to strikes, acknowledged that wages were too low. In 1854, the publisher closed the paper down and departed for the United States to start a semiweekly Journal there
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1845-1851]-1854 Microfilm
    • PRL 1845-1854 * Original
    • PRL [1845-1851]-1854 Microfilm

Weekly Herald and Newfoundland Trade Review see Newfoundland Trade Review

Weekly Ledger

  • Place of publication: St. John's?
  • Dates of publication: Nov. 5, 1867-Jan. 18, 1870?
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Printer and publisher: Elizabeth Brown Winton.
  • Other editions:
    • Public Ledger and Newfoundland General Advertiser, May 6, 1862-Dec. 20, 1867.
    • Public Ledger and Newfoundland Daily Advertiser, Jan. 2-Dec. 29, 1868.
  • Description:
    The only information about the Weekly Ledger are the masthead advertisements appearing in the Public Ledgerbetween the dates listed above.
  • No holdings recorded.

Weekly News

  • Place of publication: Carbonear.
  • Officially registered: Nov. 7, 1892.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Manoah James Hawker.
  • No holdings recorded.

Weekly News check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Mar. 29, 1894.
  • Ceased publication: June 1906.(59)
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Editor and proprietor: John Alex. Robinson, 1894.
  • Other editions: Daily News, Feb. 15, 1894-June 4, 1984.
  • Description:
    The Weekly News was a weekly edition of the Daily News intended for readers outside St. John's. "Much that occurs in the city is of no interest in the Outports, and few men have either the time or inclination to wade through the columns of six, or may be twelve dailies at one sitting. What they require is the news in a digested and spicy form." (Feb. 15, 1894). The paper opposed Whiteway in the 1894 election.

    The Weekly News was published until June 1903 when J. A. Robinson purchased the Daily News. Since Robinson was already publishing another weekly, the Free Press, he discontinued the Weekly News.
  • Holdings:
    • MHA 1894 *
    • MUN [1894] Microfilm
    • PRL [1894] Original and microfilm.

Weekly Pilot

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: May 12, 1930.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Evening Pilot Printing & Publishing Co.
  • Editor: A. A. Parsons.
  • Other editions: Evening Pilot.
  • No holdings recorded.

Weekly Record check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Trinity West
  • Began publication: Sept. 1, 1886.
  • Last issue located: Aug. 3, 1899.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Title varies:Weekly Record and Trinity Bay Advertiser, Aug. 3, 1899.
  • Editor and proprietor: D. C. Webber, Sept. 1, 1886-Aug. 18, 1893.
  • Manager: John A. Barrett, 1896-1899.
  • Description:
    The Weekly Record published agricultural information, foreign and domestic news, local news, fishing and shipping news, "curious facts", legislative proceedings, public notices and advertisements. It opposed the Thorburn administration in 1886, supported Confederation in 1888, and supported the Whiteway government. The Weekly Record was suspended for several months following the accidental drowning of its editor in August 1893.(60)
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1886-1893, 1896 Microfilm
    • MUN [1887, 1896, 1899] Original (CNS Archives)
    • PRL 1886-1893, 1896 Original and microfilm *

Western Star check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication:
    • Birchy Cove, Bay of Islands (later called Curling), Apr. 4, 1900-Oct. 1941.
    • Corner Brook, Nov. 1941-.
  • Dates of publication: Apr. 4, 1900-
  • Frequency:
    • Semiweekly (weekly in the winter), Apr. 4, 1900-Dec. 27, 1901.
    • Weekly, Jan 1, 1902-Dec. 3, 1948.
    • Semiweekly, Dec. 7, 1948-Sept. 12, 1952.
    • Daily (except Saturday and Sunday), Sept. 15, 1952-Dec. 31,1953.
    • Daily (except Sunday), Jan. 2, 1954-
  • Publisher:
    • Walter S. March, Apr. 4, 1900-May 11, 1904.
    • Star Printing and Publishing Co., May 18, 1904-Dec. 31, 1924.
    • A. L. Barrett, Jan. 7, 1925-Jan. 21, 1926.
    • Western Printing and Publishing Co., Jan. 27, 1926-Jan 31, 1979.
    • Thomson Newspapers, Feb. 1, 1979-Oct. 25, 1996.
    • Southam Inc., Oct. 26, 1996-
  • Publisher and general manager:
    • H. John Adderly, -July 11, 1986.
    • W. Leith Orr, Oct. 8, 1986-June 16, 1989.
    • Robert C. Marshall, June 27, 1989-May 14, 1990.
    • David A. Beattie, May 15-Dec. 31, 1990.
    • John Cheek, Jan. 1991-Dec. 9, 1995.
    • Ian M. Baird, Feb. 6, 1996-Apr.? 1998.
    • Robert Verge, May? 1998-
  • Editor: Walter S. March, Apr. 4, 1900-May 11, 1904.
  • Manager:
    • John A. Barrett, May 18, 1904-June 3, 1908.
    • George Webber, July 29-Oct. 14, 1908.
  • Editor:
    • William M. Dooley, Oct. 21, 1908-Feb. 21, 1912.
    • Andrew L. Barrett, Feb. 28, 1912-Nov. 12, 1941.
    • Albert Bergeron, Nov. 19-Dec. 1941.
    • J. G. Blake, Dec. 1941.
    • J. C. Fitzgerald, Jan.-Mar. 1942.
    • Albert Bergeron, Mar.-Aug. 1942.
    • Charlotte Burry, Aug. 1942-Dec. 1945.
    • F. B. Gill, Dec. 1945-Oct. 31, 1949.
    • Elizabeth Smith, Nov. 1949.
    • Kenneth Pritchard, Nov. 1949- ?
    • Ed Finn, 1956-1959.
    • Calvin M. Holloway, 1966-1977?
    • Marvin Youden, July 16, 1977-?
    • Calvin M. Holloway, ? -Jan. 9, 1984.
    • Richard Williams, Oct. 15, 1986-
  • Description:
    From the beginning the Western Star was first and foremost a voice for the interests and development of the West Coast of Newfoundland. In 1908, the paper vowed: "We are going to fight in the interest of the West Coast, but without the spur of party interest" (Aug. 5). "Our interests are not identical to those of the East, nor do the Easterners understand our needs ... We need a provincial parliament of our own" (Oct. 7).

    The Western Star voiced the opinion that the various political battles in the capital were not necessarily "all-absorbing to the people of this colony," (Apr. 27, 1900) and noted that of all the newspaper editors in the country, only two not actively involved in politics, Evening Herald editor P. T. McGrath, and Western Star editor W. S. March. (Sept. 25, 1900). The paper claimed to be "absolutely free from party politics", and denied accusations that "it is being conducted for the propagation of Toryism, and that it is owned by Reid, the railway contractor" (July 6, 1900). Nonertheless, the paper strongly supported the railway: "We regard the railway and the prosperity of the country as inseparable" (Oct. 23, 1900). The Western Star had especially strong coverage of the forestry industry, mining and the herring fishery, and recognized the potential of the tourist trade before its eastern counterparts did.

    Because the West Coast was isolated and often cut off by winter storms, in 1903 the paper announced, "At large cost we have arranged for a daily Telegraphic news message from St. John's ... The difficulty of putting out a newspaper in a place shut off from all communication can be better appreciated by members of the profession than the general public." (Mar. 4, 1903)

    The paper was printed on a hand operated press until 1912 and used hand-set type until 1931. In 1910, it became the first paper to be printed on Newfoundland newsprint.(61) The paper moved to a more modern plant in Corner Brook in 1941.

    Editorially, the Western Star opposed Bond and supported Morris and, in 1908, the banner of "The People's Party" appeared on the masthead. The paper opposed W. F. Coaker and referred to his paper, the Advocate as "that notorious sheet," but later supported the Squires government. In the elections of 1928 and 1932, theWestern Star took the nearly unprecedented option of remaining politically neutral and encouraged other journalists to do the same. It was neutral in its attitude toward the Commission of Government and, while leaning toward Confederation in 1948, encouraged voters to decide for themselves on the question.

    During the Smallwood era, the Western Star voiced concern about the lack of a viable opposition party, criticised the Liberals for not holding nominating conventions and accused Smallwood of gutter politics for his personal attacks on those who disagreed with him. One unusually outspoken editorial asked: "What politician bases all (yes all) his associations with people on how they think politically? What politician unleashes the hardest invectives against newspaper and radio reporters at the mildest provocations? What super public relations man disregards the meaning of public relations, and reveals only those morsels of information best suited to his political whim?" (Nov. 22, 1958)

    With the closing of the Daily News in 1984, the Western Star became one of the two remaining dailies in the province. A partial index to the Western Star is available in the Provincial Reference and Resource Library.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 3 months only Original
    • MUN 1900- Microfilm
    • PANL 1900-1909, 1913-1938, 1940, 1960 Microfilm (partly negative)
    • PRL 1900- * Original
    • PRL 1900- Microfilm


  • Only issue known: Sept. 8, 1917.
  • Frequency: Semimonthly.
  • Publisher: Nichols and Co.
  • Description:
    The single issue of the Workman described by McDonald as a pro-union, nonsectarian publication which published local news and news of the war could not be found at time of this writing. He comments: "The Workman was much opposed to conscription for the fisherman while slackers and dandies in St. John's had yet to enlist, but nevertheless urged an active and energetic prosecution of the war for Motherland and Empire." (62)
  • No holdings recorded.