Historical Directory of Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers O-R

Observer's Weekly check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Jan. 20. 1934-Mar. 1963.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Observer Publishing Co.
  • Editor and proprietor: Albert B. Perlin.
  • Absorbed: Free Press, Aug. 20, 1935.
  • Description:
    The Observer's Weekly was originally modelled after the newsmagazine Time(40) but changed to tabloid size in 1935. It was at first so positive toward the newly instituted Commission Government that some people imagined it to be a government publication (Jan. 5, 1943). By 1937, it had adopted a more critical attitude. It was purchased by the Daily News in 1937 or 1938 and drew heavily on that publication for editorial and other content. In 1948, the paper opposed Confederation strongly
  • Holdings:
    • MHA 1937-1938, 1940, 1944-1945 Original
    • MUN [1935]-[1944]-[1952-1962] Microfilm
    • PRL 1934-1962 * Original
    • PRL [1935]-[1944]-[1952-1962]Microfilm

Oceanside Newsletter check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Riverhead, St. Mary's Bay.
  • Dates of publication: Aug. or Sept. 1994-
  • Description:
    The Oceanside Newsletter does not list a publisher or editor. It is a photocopied publication which is almost entirely limited to social, personal and club news. There are also editorials, letters to the editor and public notices.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1994-1995]

Oceanside Press check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Pouch Cove.
  • Dates of publication: Apr. 1994-
  • Frequency: Monthly
  • Editor/publisher: Wilson Hopkins
  • Description:
    The Oceanside Press is published for the communities of Bauline, Flatrock, Pouch Cove, Logy Bay/Middle Cove/Outer Cove, St. Phillips/Portugal Cove and Torbay. The small paper features local history, school news, local events, a "reader's poetry corner", personal news, gardening, health, recycling and financial advice and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1994-1995]-
    • PRL 1995-

Optimist check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Sept. 15, 1932.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Editor and publisher: John P. Halley.
  • Publishing company: Optimist Publishing Co.
  • Description:
    The Oct. 14, 1933 issue of the Optimist available was extremely anti-government. It particularly opposed Alderdice and Coaker. The editorial expressed admiration for Mussolini and Hitler and the paper contained a large advertisement for a Newfoundland Fascist organization.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Oct. 14, 1933 Photocopy
    • THS Oct. 14, 1933 Original

Orange News-Letter

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Sept. 1902 (v. 1, no. 7).
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 1903 (v. 2, no. 12)
  • Officially registered: Mar. 14, 1902.
  • Frequency: Monthly
  • Printer: Robinson & Currie
  • Proprietor: Charles H. Hutchings, et. al.
  • Description:
    The Orange News-Letter published news of local Orange lodges, editorials, letters, and advertisements. An editorial in the Sept. 1902 issue discussed the role of politics in Orange societies. In that issue, it claimed a circulation of 1200.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Sept. 1902, Dec. 1903 (CNS Archives)

Our Country check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: Aug. 25, 1883-May 14, 1885.
  • Suspended publication: Apr. 30, 1884-Apr. 17, 1885.
  • Frequency:
    • Three per week, Aug. 25-Nov. 17, 1883.
    • Daily (except Sunday), Nov. 22, 1883-Apr. 29, 1884.
    • Irregular, Apr. 18-May 14, 1885.
  • Editor and proprietor: Frederick W. Bowden.
  • Continues: Public Ledger.
  • Other edition: Constitution.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Description:
    Our Country contained local and foreign news, proceedings of the legislative assembly, advertisements, serial fiction and other features. Intended to take the place of the Public Ledger, it was an exponent of the Reform Party and opposed the Whiteway administration, particularly in reference to the matter of the railway. It suspended publication from May 1884 to April 1885. It resumed publication for a short time, during which it was entirely devoted to the official report of the Legislative proceedings.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1883-1884]-1885 Microfilm
    • PRL [1883-1884]-1885 Original and microfilm

Our Town's First Paper see Echo

Outlook see Newfoundland Outlook


  • Place of publication: Clarenville.
  • Dates of publication: Mar. 28, 1968-
  • Frequency:
    • Biweekly, Mar. 28-Oct. 24, 1968.
    • Weekly, Nov. 7, 1968-
  • Publisher:
    • Blackmore Printing Co. Ltd., Mar. 28-Nov. 30, 1968.
    • Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd., Dec. 5, 1968-
  • Editor:
    • B. Wheaton, Mar. 28-June 20, 1968.
    • R. Goldsworthy, July 4-Oct. 10, 1968.
    • F. Hollingshurst, Oct. 24, 1968-?
    • Lloyd Thompson, Sept. 1971-Sept. 30, 1982.
    • Dick O'Neill, Oct. 1, 1982-Mar. 30, 1983.
    • John D. Over, Apr. 6, 1983-1989.
    • Barbara Dean-Simmons, 1989-
  • Title varies:
  • Description:
    The Packet contains local and provincial news, cultural news, social and club news, travel, history, sports, a women's page, television listings, and other features of the typical community newspaper. The editorials were mildly anti-Smallwood in the early years, but otherwise non-controversial.
  • Holdings:
    • Clarenville Public Library 1968-2005 Original
    • MUN 3 months only Original
    • MUN 1968-1991 Microfilm
    • PRL 1968- Original
    • PRL 1968-1991 Microfilm

Paper see Mount Pearl "Paper"

Patriot and Catholic Herald see Patriot and Terra-Nova Herald

Patriot and Terra-Nova Catholic Herald see Patriot and Terra-Nova Herald

Patriot and Terra-Nova Herald

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: July 15, 1833.
  • Latest issue located: June 30, 1890.
  • Frequency:
    • Weekly, July 15, 1833-Dec. 26, 1840.
    • Semiweekly, Jan. 2-Mar. 3, 1841.
    • Weekly, Mar. 10, 1841-May 31, 1847.
    • Semiweekly, June 21-Sept. 20, 1847.
    • Weekly, Sept. 29, 1847-July 4, 1859.
    • Semiweekly, July 7, 1859-Jan. 5, 1860.
    • Weekly, Jan. 9, 1860-Aug. 19, 1861.
    • Semiweekly, Aug. 27-Sept. 20, 1861.
    • Weekly, Sept. 23, 1861-June 30, 1890.
  • Suspended publication:
    • Jan. 10-Aug. 27. Oct. 8-Dec. 1846.
    • June 26-Sept. 2, 1853.
    • Oct. 25, 1861-Apr. 1862.
  • Title varies:
    • Newfoundland Patriot, 1833-July 6, 1842.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Patriot and Terra-Nova Herald, July 13, 1842-Apr. 29, 1872.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Patriot and Terra-Nova Catholic Herald, May 6-22, 1872.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Patriot and Catholic Herald, May 28, 1872-Feb. 1, 1877.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Patriot and Terra-Nova Herald, Feb. 12, 1877-June 30, 1890.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Proprietor:
    • Robert J. Parsons and John Valentine Nugent?,(41) 1833-Aug. 1835.
    • Robert J. Parsons, Sept. 1835-June 18, 1883.
  • Publisher:
    • Robert J. Parsons, 1833-1862; July 26, 1864-Feb. 1874; Sept. 11, 1874-June 18, 1883.
    • J. R. Parsons, 1863-July 19, 1864.
    • Charles Flood Parsons, Mar.-Sept. 4, 1874; July 4, 1883-June 30, 1890.
  • Editor: Robert J. Parsons, 1833-Mar. 19, 1855; Apr. 5, 1858-June 18, 1883.
  • Description:
    The Patriot began publication in the same year the Newfoundland legislature was established. It was supported in the beginning by several individuals, possibly including John Valentine Nugent and James Douglas.(42) In its prospectus, the proprietors pledged "The Patriot will be a terror to evil doers ... All the acts of the Executive, and of the Legislature, will be critically examined and commented upon with freedom."(43) In the summer of 1835, editor R. J. Parsons was sentenced to a three months prison and was fined 50 pounds for contempt of court by the unpopular Judge Boulton because Parsons refused to reveal the identity of the author of the following article that appeared in April of that year:
    Stick a pin here!

    Beneficial effects of hanging illustrated! -- We understand that a lecture was delivered in the Courthouse yesterday [by Judge Boulton] ... on the very great benefits which hanging the people confers upon society, arising no doubt from its sedative effects upon the human system which is to be uninitiated, are truly astonishing!
    The case attracted the attention of the press in England and North America and a fund was set up to raise money for Parsons' release. Upon his release in September 1835, he became the sole proprietor of the Patriot. Parsons continued to oppose Boulton until the judge was dismissed from office in 1838.

    A Liberal Protestant, Parsons was sympathetic to the Irish Catholic population and the Patriot provided wide coverage of Catholic and Irish news. When Bishop Fleming died, the paper was published with black borders (July 20-27, 1850). ThePatriot contained more domestic news than its predecessors as well as foreign news, legislative proceedings, shipping news, "columns for the ladies," and long-winded letters.

    The Patriot disagreed with nearly all of its contemporary newspapers at one time or the other. It dismissed the Times as being unworthy of recognition: "It is not our wont to bestow notice on the Times ; the character of that journal is too mean and its supporters confined to a circle too narrow to entitle them to the slightest consideration." The Patriot was generally well disposed toward the Newfoundlander, but noted: "we wish the editor would think more of John Kent and Newfoundland, and less of Daniel O'Connell and the Emerald Isle." Parsons accused former supporters John Kent and and John Valentine Nugent of disloyalty when they started their own paper, the short-lived Newfoundland Vindicator which tried to replace the Patriot as the House of Assembly printer and reporter. The Patriot's most bitter rival for several decades was Henry Winton's Conservative Public Ledger, which Parsons early referred to as "the Bigot's Banner" (Dec. 23, 1834). When Winton died, the Patriot announced, "The editor of the Ledger lived long enough to see the utter prostration of the politics he advocated so stoutly but so insincerely and of the party he defended so boldly. Let him rest!" (Jan. 22, 1855).

    Parsons outlived Winton for nearly 30 years and sat as a Liberal in the House of Assembly from 1848 to 1852 and from 1855 to 1874. He did not adhere strictly to party lines and never hesitated to criticize members of his own party in thePatriot. Parsons was one of the major proponents of Responsible Government, and published a series of editorials explaining its advantages in the summer of 1850. He opposed Confederation beginning in 1862 and supported the railway. Near the end of his life, he approved of the fact that party politics seemed to be on the wane. In the seven years it continued to publish after Parson's death in 1883, the Patriot declined, but still managed to snipe at the Thorburn administration and two fledgling newspapers, the Evening Mercury and the Evening Telegram.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1833-1841]-[1843-1845]-[1847]-[1850]-[1866-1867]-[1876-1882]-[1885-1890] Microfilm
    • PRL 1834-1837, 1840-1861, 1865-1868, 1877-1879 * Original
    • PRL [1833-1837]-[1843-1845]-[1847]-[1850]-[1866-1867]-[1876-1882]-[1885-1890] Microfilm

People's Speaker see Avalon Guardian

Pilot check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: Feb. 21, 1852.
  • Last issue located: Feb. 12, 1853.
  • Frequency:
    • Weekly, with both morning and evening editions, Feb. 21-July 10, 1852.
    • Weekly, July 17, 1852-Feb. 12, 1853.
  • Printer and proprietor: Jabez W. Manley.
  • Description:
    The Pilot contained colonial news, foreign news with extensive coverage of events in Ireland, a summary of the legislative proceedings, poetry, biographical sketches and Newfoundland history. Claiming to be the only Catholic paper in the Colony, it was primarily dedicated to public reform and Responsible Government. During its short life span, it pulled out all stops in denouncing the "elements of despotism, monopoly, injustice and Imperial misrule". (Feb. 21, 1852)
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1852-1853 Microfilm
    • PRL 1852-1853 * Original
    • PRL 1852-[1853] Microfilm


  • Place of publication: Lewisporte.
  • Dates of publication: Sept. 15, 1961-
  • Frequency:
    • Biweekly, Sept. 15, 1961-Feb. 11, 1966.
    • Weekly, Feb. 25, 1966-
  • Title varies:
  • Publisher:
    • Blackmore Printing Co. Ltd., Sept. 15, 1961-Nov. 29, 1968.
    • Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd., Dec. 6, 1968.
  • Editor:
    • Clarence Holwell Spracklin, Sept. 15, 1961-?
    • Mrs. Winston Locke, ? -Sept. 10, 1971.
    • Elizabeth Perry, Sept. 10, 1971-Nov. 30, 1973.
    • Winston Randell, Dec. 7, 1973-Sept. 24, 1975.
    • Mike Downey, Jan. 21-Sept. 15, 1976.
    • Bill Murphy, Sept. 22, 1976-May 11, 1977.
    • George Armstrong, July 13, 1977-Feb. 4, 1981.
    • Al Wurdemann, Feb. 11, 1981-Nov. 16, 1988.
    • Barry Moores, Nov. 23, 1988-Sept. 27, 1989.
    • Michael Ralph, Oct. 25, 1989-Sept. 2, 1992.
    • Bert Pomeroy, Sept. 9, 1992-Jan. 19, 1994.
    • Sue Hickey, Jan. 26-Aug. 31, 1994.
    • Kelley Bragg, Sept. 7, 1994-
  • Description:
    The Pilot contains news of the Lewisporte region, provincial news, social and personal news, a women's page, advertisements and sports. The editorials generally deal with local issues and avoid controversy.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 3 months only Original
    • MUN 1961-1990 Microfilm
    • PRL [1961-1963]- Original
    • PRL 1961-1990 Microfilm

Plaindealer check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Dates of publication: 1907-June 1922.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: W. J. O'Neill.
  • Description:
    The Plaindealer was a Catholic publication that published foreign news with a concentration on Irish affairs, pastoral letters, humor, short stories and editorials. W. F. Coaker, founder of the Fishermen's Protective Union, published articles in the Plaindealer in 1908 prior to founding the union's own newspaper, the Fishermen's Advocate.(44) The Plaindealerbecame a rival of that paper and opposed Coaker and the Lloyd government.(45) The paper opposed Edward Morris and later supported Bond, Cashin and Crosbie.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1918-1919, 1921] (CNS Archives)
    • PRL Apr. 3, 1915 (v. 8, no. 37), Jan. 20, 1920 (v. 13, no. 8)

Post check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Marystown.
  • Dates of publication: Mar. 25, 1970-May 29, 1974.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Title varies:
    • Burin Peninsula Post, Mar. 25, 1970-Aug. 25, 1971.
    • Post, Sept. 2, 1971-May 29, 1974.
  • Editor and publisher: Larry Hudson, Mar. 25, 1970-Aug. 25, 1971.
  • Printer: Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Ltd., Mar. 25, 1970-Aug. 25, 1971.
  • Publisher: South Coast Publishing Co. Ltd., Sept. 2, 1971-May 29, 1974.
  • Absorbed by: Daily News, June 5, 1974.
  • Description:
    The Post published news of the South Coast region, provincial news, church news, fishery news, advertisements and other features. The editorials were noncontroversial and dealt with local issues. The Post was discontinued as a separate publication in June 1974 and was published for about a month thereafter as a special weekly section of the Daily Newscalled the "South Coast edition, incorporating the Post."
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1970-1974 Microfilm
    • PRL 1970-1974 Original and microfilm

Post (St. John's) see Morning Post and Shipping Gazette


  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: July 5, 1912.
  • Frequency: Daily.
  • Publisher: St. John's Typographical Union.
  • No holdings recorded.

Public Ledger

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Began publication: 1820.(46)
  • Earliest issue located:Dec. 19, 1820 (v. 1, no. 52).
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 26, 1882.
  • Frequency:
    • Semiweekly, Dec. 19, 1820-Dec. 20, 1867.
    • Daily (except Sunday), Jan. 2-Dec. 29, 1868.
    • Three per week, Jan. 5, 1869-May 30, 1874.
    • Semiweekly (except three per week when Legislature in session), Feb. 3, 1875-Nov. 30, 1877; Feb. 15, 1878-Aug. 26, 1879; Feb. 13, 1880-June 7, 1882.
    • Weekly, Dec. 7, 1877-Feb. 8, 1878.
    • Daily, Aug. 28, 1879-Feb. 7, 1880.
    • Weekly (irregular), June 16-Dec. 26, 1882.
  • Title varies:
    • Public Ledger and Newfoundland General Advertiser, Dec. 19, 1820-July 13, 1860.
      (check MUN Holdings)
    • Public Ledger, July 17, 1860-May 2, 1862.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Public Ledger and Newfoundland General Advertiser, May 6, 1862-Dec. 20, 1867.  
      (check MUN Holdings)
    • Public Ledger and Newfoundland Daily Advertiser, Jan. 2-Dec. 29, 1868.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Public Ledger and Newfoundland General Advertiser, Jan. 5, 1869-May 30, 1874.
      (check MUN Holdings)
    • Public Ledger, Feb. 3, 1875-Aug. 26, 1879.  (check MUN Holdings)
    • Daily Ledger, Aug. 28, 1879-Feb. 7, 1880.
    • Public Ledger, Feb. 13, 1880-Dec. 26, 1882.  (check MUN Holdings)
  • Proprietor:
    • Henry David Winton and Mr. Haire, 1820-1823.
    • Henry David Winton, 1823-Jan. 6, 1855.
    • Elizabeth Winton, Jan. 16, 1855-Feb. 12, 1858.
    • Henry Winton (Jr.), Feb. 19, 1858-Mar. 30, 1866.
    • Elizabeth Brown Winton, Apr. 6, 1866-Jan. 1869.
    • Estate of Elizabeth Brown Winton, Jan. 14, 1869-Jan.? 1875.
  • Printer and publisher:
    • Henry David Winton and Mr. Haire, 1820-1823.
    • Henry David Winton, 1823-Dec. 1847.
    • Henry and Robert Winton, Jan. 2, 1849-.
    • Henry Winton (Jr.), July 24, 1855-Mar. 1866.
    • Elizabeth Brown Winton, Apr. 6, 1866-Jan. 1869.
    • F. W. Bowden, Jan. 5, 1869-Dec. 26, 1882.
  • Editor:
    • Henry David Winton, Jan. 2, 1827-July 1855.
    • Henry Winton (Jr.), July 24, 1855-Mar. 1866.
    • Adam Scott, 1866-1874.
  • Other editions: Weekly Ledger, Nov. 1867-Jan. 18, 1870.
  • Description:
    The early issues of the Public Ledger contained mainly reprints from the foreign press, advertisements, shipping and fishing news, poetry and letters from local contributors. Court proceedings and legislative proceedings added when these bodies were established. There was little domestic news, the feeling being that "the leading incidents of the past year ... as they relate to the local circumstances of this colony ... are neither numerous nor important" (Jan. 2, 1827).

    Henry Winton, the co-founder and editor, supported "introducing a local legislature into this country" (June 10, 1828) but felt religion should not be a factor in selecting members to the House of Assembly. (Jan. 13, 1832). When Representative Government was granted to the Colony in July of that year, Winton immediately expressed his opposition to the Liberal Party, his first targets being William Carson and John Kent. "Mr. Kent merged from behind the bar of a tap-house in some obscure part of Ireland but a few years ago and ... has since been vegetating among us in a somewhat subordinate situation in life" (Nov. 13, 1832). 

    Although Winton, a Protestant, had supported the granting of equal rights to Catholics in England in 1829, he became virulently anti-Catholic. He condemned Catholic interference in elections, particularly singling out Bishop Fleming, and denigrated Catholic candidates for the House of Assembly and the elections in which they were successful: "In the district of Ferryland gross violence and intimidation were used in favour of an old fool named Winser, lately perverted to the Roman Faith." (Nov. 30, 1852). Understandably, "Fleming forbade his congregation to read the Ledger, and ordered a boycott of Catholic merchants who subscribed to it."(47) In May 1835, Winton was attacked and disfigured by a group of ruffians near Harbour Grace.

    Winton's main rival was former employee R. J. Parsons, who left the Ledger to found the Liberal Patriot. Winton said of the prospectus for that paper, "It is not too much to say that falsehood, invective and a spirit of the most insolent dictation mainly characterize the whole of his production." (Jan. 11, 1833). Winton opposed Responsible Government, a cause which was championed by Parsons. In 1854, when Parsons and Philip Little traveled to England to petition the Colonial Secretary for Responsible Government, Winton referred to them as "the comical delegation" (Feb. 10, 1854).

    Winton died in 1855 and his son Henry ran the paper until his own death in 1866. Henry Winton was also Conservative but not as openly anti-Catholic. The Shea family's paper, The Newfoundlander, was now the Ledger's foe and remained so until the Shea-Carter coalition in 1865. Adam Scott was editor for nine years after the younger Winton's death. He became a great admirer of Shea and a strong supporter of Confederation, an issue which dominated the paper's editorials until it was finally defeated in 1869. The Ledger blamed the Catholics for the defeat of the measure. The paper came out in support of the railway in 1867. The Ledger opposed the Bennett administration and condemned the Catholics for interfering with the 1873 vote on the Permissive Bill, which would have restricted the licensing of liquor establishments. Scott was dismissed from his duties as editor in late 1874 when he began to disagree with the Carter administration, whom the proprietors still supported, over the issue of integrated education and the telegraph monopoly.

    F. W. Bowden took control of the Ledger in 1875 and continued the Ledger's previous policy. He cautiously supported the construction of the railway in 1881. In 1882, the Ledger seems to have lost its government patronage to the Evening Mercury. In the election of that year, the Ledger supported neither party, being disillusioned with Whiteway's plans to form a coalition with the old Roman Catholic Liberals including Little, Kent, and Parsons, yet unable to see the fledgling People's Party as a viable opposition. The Ledger probably folded at the end of that year.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1827-1837]-[1845], 1847, 1849-[1850]-[1852]-[1857-1863]-[1865-1867]-[1869-1874]-[1880]-[1882] Microfilm
    • MUN Dec. 19, 1820 (CNS Archives Howley Coll.) Original 
    • PANL [1827-1837]-[1845], 1847, 1849-[1850]-[1852]-[1857-1863]-[1865-1867]-[1869-1874]-[1880]-[1882] Microfilm
    • PRL 1827-1845, 1847, 1849-1882 * Original
    • PRL [1827-1837]-[1845], 1847, 1849-[1850]-[1852]-[1857-1863]-[1865-1867]-[1869-1874]-[1880]-[1882] Microfilm

Public Opinion

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Only issue located: Apr. 28, 1922.
  • Frequency: Semiweekly.
  • Publisher: Arthur English.
  • Holdings:
    • PANL Apr. 28, 1922 (GN32/3, no. 154)

Public Opinion

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Officially registered: Apr. 20, 1932.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Printer, publisher, and editor: F. J. Brady.
  • No holdings recorded.

Random Guardian check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Clarenville
  • Earliest issue located: Sept. 1963.
  • Latest issue located: June 1968.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Editors and publishers(48):
    • Geneva Schlock.
    • Jean Balsom.
    • Austin Hynes.
    • Audrey Hynes.
  • Description:
    The Random Guardian was a mimeographed paper publishing local news, birthdays, social, personal and club news, a religious column and advertisements. It is not known for how long the Guardian was published.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Apr., June, 1968
    • PRL Sept. 1963, Oct. 1967


  • Place of publication: Deer Lake
  • Earliest issue located:July 16, 1971.
  • Latest issue located: Aug. 6, 1971.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Holdings:
    • National Library of Canada July 16, 23, Aug. 6, 1971.

Record check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Jan. 18, 1862 (v. 2, no. 14).
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 29, 1863.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Proprietor:
    • Bernard Duffy, 1862.
    • John Duffy, 1863.
  • Publisher:
    • Bernard Duffy, 1862.
    • George James Hogsett, 1863.
  • Editor:
    • Thomas Talbot, Jan. 18-Mar. 22, 1862.
    • George James Hogsett, 1863.
  • Description:
    The Record published local news, "Catholic Intelligence", foreign news, legislative proceedings, serial fiction, advertisements and government notices. It opposed the Hoyles-Bannerman government and was ultra-Liberal and Catholic to such an extent it was referred to as "Dr. (i.e. Bishop) Mullock's organ" in the Newfoundland Express (May 23, 1861). On that occasion, the Record had made light of Catholic riots and looting which took in Harbour Main, treating them as harmless fun
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1862-1863] Microfilm
    • PRL [1862-1863] Original and microfilm

Register check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Sept. 11, 1880 (v. 1, no. 2).
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 16, 1880.
  • Frequency: Daily (except Sunday).
  • Printer: J. P. Rahal for the Register Printing Co.
  • Editor: John F. Morris(49).
  • Description:
    The Register published foreign and domestic news, government notices, advertisements and other features. Although it claimed to be "an independent journal written by independent men for an independent public", it supported the Liberal Party and contained a high concentration of Catholic and Irish news. Owned by a company of twelve unnamed stockholders, it denied being an organ of the government.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1880] Microfilm
    • PRL [1880] Original and microfilm

Reporter check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: St. John's.
  • Earliest issue located:Jan. 31, 1856 (2nd sess. no. 3).
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 25, 1856 (v. 1, no. 48).
  • Official reporter and publisher: Thomas Talbot, Jan. 31-June 26, 1856.
  • Responsible editor and proprietor: Thomas Talbot, July 3-Dec. 25, 1856.
  • Printer: John R. Parsons.
  • Description:
    Printed at the offices of the Patriot, the Reporter was originally intended to serve as a vehicle for the publication of legislative proceedings but also published editorials, foreign and domestic news, poetry, advertisements and other features. Liberal in viewpoint, it disliked the Tories, but more frequently beleaguered the Liberal Party, which it felt to be controlled by family compacts and family monopolies, singling out Philip Little in particular. The Reporter was especially bitter about being forced to share the publication of the legislative proceedings with the likes of the Public Ledger and the Express.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN [1856] Microfilm
    • PRL [1856] Original and microfilm


  • Place of publication:
    • St. John's, Sept. 1-29, 1976.
    • Kelligrews, Oct. 20-Dec. 1976.
  • Began publication: Sept. 1, 1976.
  • Latest issue located: Dec. 1976.
  • Frequency:
    • Biweekly, Sept. 1-29, 1976.
    • Monthly, Oct. 20-Dec. 1976.
  • Publisher: Moreton Enterprises.
  • Managing editor: David Moreton.
  • Description:
    The Reporter aimed at a readership in Conception Bay South, publishing local news, articles on local personalities, social and club news.
  • Holdings:
    • PRL [1976] (JNM 2)

Reporter check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Stephenville
  • Began publication: June 20, 1979.
  • Latest issue located: Jan. 26, 1983.
  • Frequency: Weekly.
  • Publisher: Pyramid Publishing.
  • Editor: Keith Pittman.
  • Description:
    The Reporter published local news, interviews, social and personal news, sports, articles on health and entertainment, a women's page, comics, and other features. Claiming to be "the only locally-owned newspaper in Bay St. George" its editorials dealt with local issues and reflected popular opinion.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN 1979-Jan 26, 1983 Microfilm
    • PBHA 1979-1980 * Original
    • PRL 1979-Jan. 26, 1983 Original and microfilm

Reporter (St. John's) see Bell Island Reporter

Review and Bay Roberts Advertiser

  • Place of publication: Bay Roberts.
  • Officially registered: May 3, 1934.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Publisher: Judson Bartlett.
  • No holdings recorded.

Rising Sun and Conception-Bay Advertiser

  • Place of publication: Harbour Grace.
  • Only issue located: Feb. 26, 1823 (v. 1, no. 38).
  • Printer and publisher: John Ryan, Jr.
  • Description:
    The single issue of The Rising Sun and Conception-Bay Advertiser located bears the motto "fiat lux, et lux fuit, lecemurque eundo." It consists of a single sheet, printed on both sides and includes a short poem entitled "On Suicide", a reprint of "A report on the State of Newfoundland" from the Public Ledger, an article from a London paper on the "sale of children to gipsies", and one sentence of local news: "On Wednesday last, the Justices fined a gentleman in two guineas, for giving a servant a certificate of character, which he knew at the time was untrue."

    The Rising Sun and Conception-Bay Advertiser is the earliest known Newfoundland newspaper to be published outside of St. John's.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Feb. 26, 1823 (In CNS Archives).

'Round Home check MUN Holdings

  • Place of publication: Port Rexton
  • Began publication: Fall 1994.
  • Last issue located: Aug. 1995.
  • Frequency: Monthly.
  • Publisher: Fred Rex
  • Editor: Agnes Warren
  • Description:
    'Round Home was a cheerful local newspaper covering the top of the Bonavista Peninsula. Published on newsprint in tabloid format, it included editorials supporting local development, entertainment, club news, household advice and recipes, columns on nature, pets, computers and woodworking by local writers, and advertisements.
  • Holdings:
    • MUN Aug. 1995

Royal Gazette and Newfoundland Advertiser see Newfoundland Gazette